Removing spray paint from grill cloth??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ampegfuzz, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Any methods or specific solvents for removing the paint. The grill cloth on my newly acquired Ampeg B15S is painted black and I want to try to clean it before I have to replace it. Thanks
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Scissors?

Unless You know excactly what paint was used to help find the proper solvent, and you know for sure that the cloth will stand that said solvent without any deformation, IME trying to get paint off from cloth is a lost cause.

Regards
    Sam
  3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Bummer, I guess the best plan is to remove it and soak it in a solvent. It's synthetic so paint stripper is out. Paint thinner won't do it. Real turpentine might work. I won't mention what I would try, too dangerous, but then, most solvents are flammable. Get a small can of turpentine and lightly dab at it with paper towel. If it works, soak it. Hand wash it in cold water with dish soap a couple of times after. Good luck.
  4. 1n3

1n3

You might be able to do it. Grille cloth is usually made of tough stuff. I think there's a good chance you can find something that attacks the paint and not the fibers. If replacement is the alternative, there's little to lose.

I would start with a mild solvent like mineral spirits or naptha. Soak a toothbrush and scrub a small area. If that doesn't work, repeat with something "hotter": xylol/xylene > toluol/toluene > lacquer thinner... These are toxic, so work outside. Especially with lacquer thinner, you'd want to check often to see that you're not damaging the fabric.

Methanol might also work, and is cheap in the form of Heet (gas line antifreeze). Again, highly toxic, so be outside.

Once the paint is degraded, you may be able to continue with something less toxic; mineral spirits, or even water and detergent (don't get the frame too wet).

Good luck.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

Laquer thinner is pretty HOT and loves synthetics. I was thinking kerosene (basically tolulene?) and a good washing after. Another thought was camping fuel. I would remove it from the frame.
  7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    easy-off oven cleaner works well on tolex for removing spray paint. if it's the tough nylon grill cloth type, it'd probably work on it too. just wear rubber gloves or it'll irritate the heck out of your skin (as in eat it!-it contains lye).
  8. 96tbird

Now there's a tip! It's a Keeper.
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Since it's a cloth, I'd try bleaching it.
    YOu'd probably be more successful replacing it anyway.
  10. ampegfuzz

I'll try the oven cleaner if that doesn't work I'll prolly be buying tons of grill cloth because I want to do my classic cabs in vintage cloth To match my older svt.
  11. ampegfuzz

It's a 1968 btw, b15s still ok on that cloth?

Attached Files:

12. 96tbird

Well if it's original cloth, it is original, b15 or not. Good to go.
  13. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    it'll probably work on it. i'd just test a small spot on the back where it folds over first.
    if you need some new blue/silver ampeg cloth, i'd recommend tubesandmore.com, since their's is OEM ampeg and it's really good. many other suppliers sell the knock off stuff, which looks very similar, but it isn't quite the same and they usually try to sell it for the same price.
  14. ampegfuzz

I took the badge off it was blue underneath .
  15. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
  16. ampegfuzz

Thanks John, you da man once again :)