Removing sunburst paint finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 1, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I might purchase an SX fretless jazz bass w/a maple neck & alder body that's painted sunburst. I HATE sunburst! I would like to strip the paint & possibly have the body stained walnut, if Adler can lend itself to being stained medium brown. (Mid-70s I had a precision bass that was walnut, had a black pickguard & maple neck. Best color combo ever!)

How do you remove guitar paint & clear coat?
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Lot's of sandpaper and elbow grease. I would start off with 80 grit and finish up with 220. Don't skip the grits in between.
  3. dropbass

dropbass

Or a good paint remover/stripper and some 220 way faster amd less dusty imo
  4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I'd start with a chemical stripper to get off as much as you can, then switch to 80-grit discs on an orbital sander to get down to bare wood. I'd personally take the wood up to 320 grit (80, 150, 220, 320) after sanding, before staining/dying.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would probably use the heat gun method.
  7. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I once painted a rusty blades of an old art-deco fan. Later I decided to sell the fan back to the antique store where I bought it, so I tried stripping the paint with paint remover purchased @ Cas-Quest. The paint just got gummy & I couldn't get much off. I ultimately had to repaint it the same color.

Is there a type of stripper recommended for guitar paint & clear coating?
  8. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I like citristrip, because it won't kill you or help you grow awesome tumors. Other people like aircraft paint stripper because it's quick, but I don't use it because I don't like to die.
  9. dropbass

dropbass

Oo my fav the black can with the skull :eek: prob be ok for one body but I agree w you for long term use that stuff will fry your nose hair
  10. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

So that heavy duty stuff will kill me.....promises, promises!