1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Removing the backplate from a GB7 tuner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Doctor J, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    I'm missing a backplate from a GB7 tuner, leaving the cog exposed. It's a branded backplate and I've been on to the customer service people of that brand to buy a new tuner but I've been getting nowhere. Then I hit upon an idea. The headstock is a 2x2 type and the D string tuner is the one missing the backplate. I'm thinking of replacing the E string tuner with a Hipshot Xtender and taking the backplate off that tuner and installing it place of the missing plate on the D string tuner.

The question is, how do I remove the backplate without scraping or gouging it out, is there an easy way to do this (intentionally)?

Thanks.

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Ideally, I don't want one blank and three branded. Call it OCD or whatever but that would annoy the **** out of me.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Get a whole set then. That way, they will all be the same. I understand the OCD. I'm the same way when it comes to tuners.