1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Removing the Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kaoskater08, Oct 10, 2013.

1. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

First of all, thank you for those that post on this site. The insight/experiences that I have read on here have helped tremendously with the building that I've done.

But on to my situation....I started building a neck-thru bass and have gotten to where I am radiusing the fingerboard/glueing pearl dots in and body wings. Before I started there was a warp in the neck so I started adjusting the truss rod to compensate. Well, after a couple of turns it made a loud "snap" sound and will not tighten in either direction (it is a lmi double action truss rod).

How do I get it out so that I can fix or replace it?
  2. suraj

suraj

Did you install the truss rod from the peg head or the heel ? Also did you just place the rod in its slot and glue the fingerboard on top, or routed the TR slot deeper and glued a filler strip on top ?

The worst answer here can be that you will have to remove your fingerboard. To do that, you have to use heat on the fingerboard to melt the glue between the fingerboard and the neck and slowly remove it. An Iron with steam setting, or a good clothes steamer can heat and loosen the glue between the fretboard and the neck. Once its off, replace the truss rod.

The best answer can be that if you can try to maybe glue an allen key into the broken TR nut with epoxy or threadlock and try to pull the rod out from the heel or the pedhead. This will only work if -

- you didn't previously use a filler strip or used wood to fill the gap above the TR nut.
    - your TR was not super tight in its slot, OR
    - some of the glue from the fingerboard didn't seep into the TR slot and glue part of the rod to the neck.

Best of luck.
  3. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

suraj,

Thanks for the reply. The truss rod cavity was routed (adjustment at the headstock) and there is no wood covering the truss rod from the fingerboard. If I remember correctly the cavity was a little snug when installing the rod but it has a piece of tape covering it so no glue would get in. I'll have to see if I can pull it out of there and if not try getting it off with my iron.

Thanks again!
  4. suraj

suraj

If you were using the rod correctly and it snapped, it may be defective. Lmi will replace your TR if I'm not wrong. Try contacting them. They do, however, recomend testing their rod in a vise befor installing it in a neck. If you didn't do that, you probably should have.