1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Removing the tweeter from a cab gets more volume?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Masher88, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

A friend of mine told me that since I turn the tweeter attenuation totally off in my Ampeg 410hlf I should remove the tweeter and crossover from the circuit altogether. Let the full range from my amp hit the speakers. He said this will make the cabinet louder. I figured I should get a few other opinions before doing something like this. Any ideas?
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    No. Doesn't get more volume, just less high frequencies. Your friend doesn't understand how stuff works.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tweeters use so very little power that it doesn't make a difference in volume to disconnect them.
  4. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

I think it might depend on the crossover design. If the crossover is designed to attenuate the higher frequencies from the woofers, it might be better to leave the crossover in the circuit so that the woofers are not fed those higher frequencies, i.e., the woofers would sound better leaving the crossover connected.

If the crossover does not attenuate the higher frequencies from the woofers, then it's moot (i.e., disconnecting the crossover would not accomplish anything).

If your friend thinks that sending all of the power to the woofers is what will make a difference in volume, I would say no. A crossover typically feeds very little power to the tweeter as compared to what power gets fed to the woofers, and adding that slight increase in power to the woofers would not amount to any detectable increase in volume from the woofers.

My recommendation is, if you do not like the sound of the higher frequencies, turn down the attenuator all the way (which is what I do) and enjoy!

EDIT: it looks like Will33 and Jimmy beat me to it!
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The cone speakers are getting full range already, the "crossover" is just for the horn tweeter.
  6. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Thanks B-string. In that case, disconnecting the crossover would accomplish nothing with respect to volume from the woofers.

Masher88: this appears to be an opportunity for your friend to learn, which all of us are always doing, as long as we are alive.
  7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Yeah, in most not really fancy cabs there isn't a crossover, its just a high pass on the tweeter. In certain circumstances you get a bit more volume by running woofers full range rather than crossed over, but it usually isn't done like that for a reason, because of it being bad sounding louder, like weird peak or similar. This isn't one of those circumstances (I think the circumstance might have been wrong woofers attached to a crossover and it not working right).
  8. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

The crossover is going to waste some small amount of power, but I doubt you could even measure it, let alone hear it. Unless you're already playing with the volume pegged, you can compensate for any losses with a little more volume anyway.
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: