Remplacement pickups for LTD B-206SM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cocas, Feb 21, 2013.

1. cocas

cocas

Hi,

I'm looking for remplacement pickups for a ESP (LTD) B-206SM.
    I wanted some jazz pickups, but they're a bit hard to find, since the original pickups on this bass are soapbar humbuckers.
    I tought maybe to try to find some good humbuckers with similar proportions and them wire them in split coil configuration.
    Has anyone gone through the same kind of situation? I'd really appreciate some feedback of you guys, since you probably have more experience in these matters :hyper:

Thanks

2. groovecraver

groovecraver

Hey cocas,
    I ordered a custom set of Nordstrand Big Singles from Best Bass Gear. Since the spacing is around 16mm the custom order was necessary even though the measurement of the pickups are the same as an EMG 45 shape. Carey Nordstrand will make a set to fit your needs and the guys at BBG are experts at making sure you get what you need. The Big Singles have great J bass tone ! I ordered mine as a 17mm set, as I plan to put a Hipshot A bridge on it, which has adjustable string spacing. With that bridge I can widen my spacing a bit. View attachment 320334

3. cocas

cocas

Oh, thanks man, the Nordstrands were just what I was looking for! Either the Big Single or the Big Splits, to be able to have also a humbucker on command. I didn't know they made it by special measure as well, it's really nice to know that. Even the position of the screws is different from what I've been seeing in nordstrand pickups, that would be great since I wouldn't have to drill anymore holes into my bass. So you said the big singles are exactly the same size as EMG 45?

Did you change your pre-amp as well? I've read that the preamp that comes with the b-206sm is really mediocre.

4. groovecraver

groovecraver

I did change the pre to an Aguilar OBP-3. I also have the big splits in my Mtd. Both pickups sound great but the singles have just enough of that single coil tone. It won't be mistaken for a Jazz Bass but that's what I like about it. My bass sounds ridiculously nice with its own vibe. The pickups I have were custom spaced under a Nordstrand cover that is the same size as the original covers
    ( which happen to be the EMG 45 shape ). I had to wait a few months for them but I believe the wait time is shorter now. Of course the wait was worth it ! This bass is a monster. I use it on Jazz and R & B gigs, as well as gigs requiring lead solo bass. I'm playing the bass with no issues even though I have 17mm spacing on a 16mm bridge but again, I plan to swap the bridge out soon. You are right about the preamp. The original pre had to go. IMHO, the original pre doesn't sound horrible but was nowhere near what I would want as a working musician. I get a lot of tone compliments on the sound of this bass now.

5. Register to disable this ad