Renaissance Man/Rebirth Live Studio Recording

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by adamnitti, Jan 14, 2013.

1. adamnitti

adamnitti

2. refbassist

refbassist

Thanks Adam, Great stuff.

3. adamnitti

adamnitti

thanks for checking it out, refbassist!

4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Very cool... Evidence is a great album and you got some fantastic bass sounds on it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I watched this the other day. Is that a Yamaha TRB? I've always loved their body shape/headstock design.

7. adamnitti

adamnitti

thanks, christoph!

madbassplaya, yes, that is a customized trbII-p. this video was recorded just before i entered into my contract with ibanez.

8. treynegunn

treynegunn

9. daBASSics

daBASSics

Adam I really love the tone that you were getting out of your 5PII. How did you achieve that tone? Also I was way impressed with the action you had on the bass. Seemed like it required little to no effort. Of course that was because of your playing.

I am asking because I just aquired a 5pII after many years of searching and really love it.

Thank you in advance!

10. adamnitti

adamnitti

thanks for the kind words!

the tone you are hearing is the blended sum of 2 d.i. lines... the clean tone is coming from an eclair engineering evil twin d.i. and the 'colored' tone is coming from an aguilar tone hammer d.i..

the action is definitely leaning toward the lower side on that bass, but not as low as a couple of my other instruments. i had yamaha modify that bass for me so that i'd have an 18mm spacing at the bridge. it's one of my favorite instruments. congrats on finding yours!

11. adamnitti

adamnitti

btw, i'll be posting another live video soon from those same sessions... just haven't had time to upload it yet. :)

12. daBASSics

daBASSics

Thank you. I will definitely have to experiment with some different combinations. I'll be looking forward to the next release.

13. daBASSics

daBASSics

Adam, can you share more about the mods on your Yamaha TRB 5PII? I am considering doing the same thing...albeit not through Yamaha.

1. Did they have to re-rout the bridge area? Any pics or advice would be much appreciated.
    2. Can you share what strings you are using on that bass as well? Are they the XL 170's?

Thank you in advance!

14. adamnitti

adamnitti

Yes, they did have to do some extra routing around the single rail saddles in order to accomplish the slightly wider spacing. The strings are D'Addario xl170s, .045-.130.

15. daBASSics

daBASSics

16. adamnitti

adamnitti

you are quite welcome!