Renaissance/Turner Basses Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EdwardofHuncote, Jan 2, 2014.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote Supporting Member

I'm wondering if there are enough of us playing Renaissance Basses to warrant a Club... or if we included Turner Model One and Electroline basses as well?
  2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Count me in...I'm currently playing a RB5 and a RB5FL as my primary instruments for my acoustic trio gig. :bassist:
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

I used to own a RB5FL, currently I have a RB4FL.

BTW, I think all Turner basses should be welcome.

If you really want to get the membership up you might want to include Turner guitars, too! :bag:
  4. EdwardofHuncote

Very cool! All Turner-made basses from 1979 forward then. If this thread takes off, maybe post some pix.

I'm in with two RB's (fretted and fretless) and an EL-535-PMM.

Would love to see someone pop in here with a Model One bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

I have a Renaissance bass but it is not a Turner. Just saying. ;)
  7. Jeff Scott

Stanley, are you around?.............
  8. Jeff Scott

I know there was another company called Renaissance that was not affiliated with Rick.

Or, did you buy a certain bass from a certain person who lives in Eastern Pa.? :meh:
  9. EdwardofHuncote

I heard (or read) once about a CAD letter being sent... I will take a pass on interest in sermons either way - on legality or imitation being a high form of flattery.

Really, I'm just interested in seeing who else is playing Turner basses. Since we obviously have similar taste in basses, it'd be interesting to also to see what if any kind of gigs we have in common.

Also for comparing notes on amplification, modification, eq'ing, string options, you know... like the larger clubs do. ;)
  10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

In as a lurker.

Visited Rick at his shop in SC some years ago. Nicest guy. Had a custom EL 6 on the table, and also a fanned- fret mandolin! Demo'd a couple renaissance and EL basses at sylvan music there.

One thing i noticed were wafer-thin fretboards. Like veneers. Like the fret tangs cut through the boards making them into little squares. Thought that was odd.
  11. EdwardofHuncote

Never met the guy in person, but talked on the phone a couple times... seems very personable.

I haven't seen many of his instruments here in Virginia, actually *no* basses, which isn't all that odd considering there aren't many to begin with.

The first time I ever saw or played one, was about 1997 in Nashville. This guy had a gig with one of the CC artists at A&M records, but in the off-season was scratching and clawing like the rest of us... anyway, he was playing a Renaissance fretless. I thought it was about the coolest looking and sounding bass I'd ever heard, and the most practical design.
  12. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

I meant the other (defunct) Renaissance, the Plexy bass from days gone by. Carry on.
  13. Jeff Scott

I have never seen one (only read about it in VG Price Guide) but that is what I figured you meant. Can you post a photo of it?
  14. Jeff Scott

I've met Rick on a couple of occasions (and spoke to him on the phone a number of times). The first visit was to his shop in Topanga Canyon, where I played an Electroline 4 string bass, and he gave us the tour of the shop. The second visit was in Santa Cruz; when we got there he was with a customer testing a pickup Rick had just installed into the client's Olson guitar, running it through a SWR Natural Blond amp. It sounded just like an acoustic guitar should. :cool: Rick sure does make great sounding pickups. He gave a tour of the new shop and we saw many different models around the place.
  15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

I have a Turner RB5FL that I love...would LOVE to get a fretted version to replace my MK Dragonfly....

count me in...
  16. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    That's the same mission I was on a for the last few months, but I picked up a fretted RB5 the weekend before Christmas. Are you looking for a 4 or a 5?
  17. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Purchasing two Turner Ren fretless basses a year ago is what hooked me back into playing bass after 28yrs away. (Was playing classical and flamenco guitar the past 10.) I tried a Turner RB4FL and was completely hooked. I now have that Turner RB4FL with Status-Graphite Tapewounds on it, and a Turner RB5FL with TI Nickel Jazz Flats. I would never sell these. Absolutely feel lucky to be able to play them.

My GAS list isn't long, but a Turner Model 1 bass is on it, as well as an Electroline EL-535-PMM. Almost purchased one of each last year, but didn't jump on it quick enough.
  18. woodyng

woodyng

About 32 years late for me! :D Beautifully made instrument,the closest i've gotten to owning an Alembic. I had great access to a lot of high end guitars in those days,and probably paid $500 for it. I think i traded it after 6 monthes for a Modulus Basstar.
  19. EdwardofHuncote

This is a good start fellas... I'm enjoying the participation!

If anyone's in for pix, here's a shot of my RB-5 Custom... right now it's on it's way back home from Santa Cruz, California, where it received the fretless conversion.

Attached Files:

20. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    That one's a show-stopper right there....beautiful bass!
  21. EdwardofHuncote

@mimaz

Thanks! Remember when we were watching this beauty in the TB classifieds? Wonder where it ended up?

Attached Files: