Renting, Apt vs. Home vs. Trailer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lwknives, Feb 24, 2014.

1. lwknives

lwknives

Hey yall, Im gona be getting married and moving out of my grandmothers house in the next 4 months and would like to know yalls thoughts on the pluses and minuses of different types of rental places.

It is much easier to find affordable nice apartments but being a musician I dont want to be aggravating my neighbors with loud music. Is it worth the extra cost to rent a house vs apartment?

I have never lived on my own before so I dont really know what to expect.

Thanks!

2. robd

robd Supporting Member

buy if you can....don't rent. Housing costs and interest rates are still fairly low.

But to answer your question..if you want to play loud music, a single family home is probably a better option

3. lwknives

lwknives

After a wedding, honeymoon, buying my girl a car and only recently graduating college I wont have any money for a down payment. I plan on buying in a year or two. If I get a cheaper apartment I will have to sacrifice being able to play loud music but I will be able to buy sooner.

4. robd

robd Supporting Member

Then do that but realize you are probably going to get less house for the same amount of money a year from now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Loan with a purchase option?

7. IPA

IPA

The best time to buy a house is always a year ago!

8. pedroims

pedroims

Keep in mind that many times you wont be able to play really loud in a house too , either because the neighbors or the wife !! :D... As other mentioned I will buy instead of renting.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the apt.

Everyone I know that has lived in a trailer park has been broken into at least once. I don't think they are all that easy to secure.

A house is a great thing, and if you are renting, a larger house with several roommates makes them very affordable. But then you have to deal with the roommates......

10. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

Guys, the OP has said he doesn't want to buy. Deal with it. Not everybody's happy being saddled with 30 years of risk at the hands of our fiduciary corporate overlords.

OP: If you can afford it, rent a house. If not, get the apartment and a headphone amp. If your wife is also your sister, get the trailer ;) .

Peace,
    Greg

11. Milk

Milk

I've always rented apartments....because that's the only thing i can afford. I also haven't used an amp at my place in ten years. If you can afford anything else, probably go with home.

12. Richland123

Richland123

You can always find a rent with an option to buy where some of the rent money would apply to purchasing the house at a future time. If you rent, purchase renter's insurance on your stuff. The landlord's insurance does not cover your stuff. I own an insurance agency; so, I know how to protect people's belongings.

13. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I've always gone with a flat (apartment), but that's more to do with cost. Maybe look at buying in the next few years depending on how everything goes.

Big +1 on making sure to get contents insurance if you rent, over here it certainly doesn't cost a lot.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    A trailer....down by the lake!

15. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Stereotyping trailer park dwellers? :ninja:
    Actually, I thought it was pretty funny.

16. SnowCal

SnowCal

+1

Renters insurance is very cheap. Maybe not that important for most people, but if you've got some high-ticket items lying around the house (basses and amps) it's worth it. Mine also covers theft from my car.

As for what to get, a bigger house with a couple roommates is always the nicest and cheapest, at least around here. Can you handle roommates until the income goes up?

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

We're in the middle of going from renting to owning. We've picked a reasonable price range and we're waiting for our 'nest egg' to hit the point where we're around 20% of purchase price. In the meantime, while we're doing our best to save, we're paying down as much 'old' debt as possible. My old CC debt will be down about 85% in the next month, my wife's car will be paid off (years early), setting us up to be able to have a mortgage that's less than what we're paying in rent, and us being able to further afford improvements and have stability.

If you're fairly young now (20's, early 30's) then renting may be a great choice. I'm in my early 40's and its time to own, and time for us to find some space, rather than live on top of everyone in the neighborhood.

At this point, I'm tired of paying to live in someone else's property and all that goes with that.

No trailers for me thanks.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have owned a home in Washington since 1999. When we moved to New Hampshire, we rented a home, and rented our house in Washington. I actually prefer renting a home. When we move from the house we are in now, I will rent.

Some of the newer manufactured homes are nice. I would not be opposed to living in one.

-Mike

19. lwknives

lwknives

Buying is not really an option because I will be a 23 year old with almost no savings, I will have just got a new job, I have never borrowed money so I have zero credit history I cant imagine a bank giving me a loan!

I should be able to afford a pretty nice rental house with no problem, it will just take longer to save for a downpayment if I am spending $100-$200 more per month than for a similar apartment.

I will definitely not want roommates being as how I will be a newlywed. Im gona be wanting to spend some alone time with my woman!

20. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Are you assuming you'd be practicing loudly with a band in your apt or house? I'd say at 23 rent apt, save money, get some credit established, look to buy in a few years. You can practice at lower volumes in an apt, or acoustically. Not sure what they have in your area, but townhouses (no upstairs from you) or duplexes may work. I rented a back house off a huge house once that was awesome. 1000 sqft, full kitchen, pool privileges and never a fear of theft being in a great neighborhood. They loved having me there as they traveled all the time and I could rock out at all hours.

Start the 401K instantly if available and get the pre-tax dollars working for you, even $100 per month.

Good luck on the marriage and housing!

21. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

At 23 I was busy establishing a really bad credit rating. It took me years to dig out from under that. Be careful. It's taken even longer to dig out from the credit/debt hole involved. That's only just now ending.

I've lived in flats for the past couple decades. Way better than an apartment building...like right now we have a 2/3 bedroom 1100 square foot flat which is perfect for the 'married yet renting years'. We have enough space for a guest room a storage/studio room, living room, dining room, etc. Many houses in our price range are in the same range size wise.

I also practice with a Korg Pandora and headphones. Its actually a better way for me to practice than having an amp.