Repair tips question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by camardelle, Feb 14, 2014.

1. camardelle

camardelle Supporting Member

I sold this bass around Christmas. Unfortunately UPS caused a pretty good ding in it. After retrieving the bass from them, I found this. It's clear through to the wood and the coating which I believe is poly.

Should I repair, and if so how? Would I be better parting it out? It's a 60th anniversary Fender Special Edition bass.

Thanks on advance for the help and advice.

[​IMG]

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You can glue the pieces of finish that are already there back down. Then steam out the dent in the wood with a wet rag and a cloths iron. then fill the missing finish with CA glue or epoxy, level sand it, and polish it out. It will never be totally invisible repair, but it will look much better than it does now.

3. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

Someone at UPS deserves adent in their...

4. camardelle

camardelle Supporting Member

It was more than I wanted to get into. The bass sold earlier today. Thanks for the help TB!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

That's what they call "sharp force trauma" on CSI. Hope you are getting some money from UPS. I would remove the dislodged pieces of the finish, fill the dent with epoxy, then try to re-finish by sanding down the rough edges of the damaged area and applying multiple coats of a poly finish like a simple MinWax or equivalent. Sand with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 & 1500 then buff and polish.