1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Repairing a German Warwick

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nirvana1410, Jan 31, 2013.

1. nirvana1410

nirvana1410

Here's a Warwick Streamer LX-5 with some damage.
    [​IMG]
    It's kinda hard to see, but it has a hole where the controls are.
    Any tips on the repair? Like what to use and such?
    I don't have a lot of experience with wood projects, other than wood shop in high school, haha.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would rout out the entire cavity, and fill the rout with a solid block of wood, then glue it in place.

Rerout the cavity and paint it a solid color. Its repairable, but I think its days with a transparent finish are numbered.
  3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine

Isn't that a fairly expensive instrument? I'm not up on the Warwick lines, so I don't know for sure, but if you're talking about an instrument worth a few thousand dollars and you don't have the woodworking experience to repair it properly, you should really consider having it professionally repaired.

The cheapest/fastest repair is probably installing a cover on top of the control cavity and having the controls mounted to that (like a J bass or other instrument with top mounted controls). After that you get into filling the cavity in some manner, such as how Hopkins described, or cutting part of the body off to replace it with as close to a matching piece of wood as you can find, both of which will require refinishing the body.
  4. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    You could clean up the edges of the cavity from the front, cut a new piece out of thin wood to cover it, finish it to match, bevel the edges and attach it like a pickguard with gold screws. Then you can drill it for the pots and hook everything back up. I can't see what type of wood that is, but if it's flamed or birdseye or whatever, you could probably find something that would look good with it.
  5. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I think your best bet is to design a "control plate" that fits the bass and cut it from pickguard stock. Getting a grain and color match that doesn't look like a patch job is going to be a pretty tall order.
  6. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

Wasn't this for sale in the classifieds for super cheap a month or two ago?
  7. nirvana1410

nirvana1410

That's what I was thinking of doing. It would make it look ugly, but not as bad as it does now I'm sure.

It's quite possible. I haven't bought the bass yet. I plan on it if the guys goes through with the deal. He had previously been unsure he wanted to sell it.
  8. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I'm pretty sure I saw this for sale awhile back. If fixed properly it could be done in a way that would barely be noticeable.
  9. Liam76

Liam76

Besides cutting 2x4s, I don't know much about woodworking, lol!

Anyway, might it be possible to cut out and replace the damage and cover the entire front with a really thin veneer to conceal the repair?

I know the Streamer is pretty curvy, but my Schecter Studio has a really thin veneer of bubinga on the flat part of the body top.
  10. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I think you'd be better off trying to clean up the hole, then make a patch panel, and refinish it to cover it up
  11. nirvana1410

nirvana1410

Definitely. As for the scuffs on it, I think it adds character to the bass. It got damaged in a tornado supposedly and had the neck replaced. He replaced it with a left handed neck if anyone noticed.

Honestly, I don't like having to make sure I don't scratch or scuff my instrument all the time.
  12. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

If you get the bass and fix it, post pics keep us updated!
  13. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I thought those basses had asymetrical neck pockets.
  14. nirvana1410

nirvana1410

That may be true. I'm not sure what kind of modifications he's had to do to put the lefty neck on it. I will post pictures of it if I end up buying it.
  15. MeLikeDaLowNote

MeLikeDaLowNote

A little off topic, but OMG what happened? Did your Warwick take a bullet for you?
  16. nirvana1410

nirvana1410

The bass got tossed around in a tornado.

On a side note, it sounds like he's flaking on selling it again. So... I might not end up having it after all.