1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Repairs near Syracuse, NY?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dsmacleod, Aug 28, 2013.

1. dsmacleod

dsmacleod

I just moved to Syracuse and need a basic setup. I left my bass with a musician friend while I travelled this summer and the humidity wreaked havoc on the action.

The bridge is adjusted as low as it can go, and is still too high to play comfortably.

I am looking for someone within an hour of Syracuse. I used to take it to Gage when I lived in the city, but would rather not make the trip.

Any ideas?
  2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    How far is Brewster and Arnold Schnitzer's shop?
  3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

About four hours each way. For basic stuff the Violin Shoppe in Oneida is right down the road. I bought an old German from him and the setup wasn't too bad. JR Judd Has a good shop in Williamsport and there's a shop in Amherst whose name escapes me because I'm on my first cup of coffee.
  4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Robert McIntosh in Cambridge, NY. Probably 2 hours from Syracuse or so...
  5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

{facepalm}

I played a bass the other day that he had set up...some old German beater. It sang. There's your answer.
  6. ethnotime

ethnotime

Mike Griffin in Fairport, NY (Rochester) does good work. Probably an hour and a half from Syracuse.
  7. dsmacleod

dsmacleod

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Think I'll try Griffin near Rochester. Only an hour and 15 minutes away. He's also got a few basses there I'd like to check out ...
  8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass

I "third" the Robbie McIntosh recommendation. Great guy and stunning work!

BG
  9. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Mike Griffin is a good choice too.
  10. Margin

Margin

I highly recommend Robert MacBlane String Instruments in Preble, about 15 minutes south of Syracuse. His work is great, reasonable prices, and such a cool shop! He set up my bass ( twice) and fixed up an old mandolin that I thought was kindling.
  11. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

Tom Hosmer is in Syracuse. He helped me out with set up on my first upright 20 years ago. http://www.hosmerviolins.com/ Since I moved east I have been lucky enough to meet Robbie Macintosh.
  12. martinc

martinc

Looks like Syracuse is well stocked with bass repair people. Lucky you!
  13. Margin

Margin

Hosmer doesn't work on basses any more - he said they take up too much room in the shop! Another highly skilled genius...
  14. dsmacleod

dsmacleod

I know! I thought I was going to be stuck driving down to the city every few months.