1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Repairs needed in San Diego

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Low Main, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Hi all:

I have a volunteer program that helps procure and maintain musical instruments for music therapy programs at VA hospitals.

The instruments are used at the facility by both inpatient and outpatient veterans who are recovering and rehabbing from major trauma and injuries.

I'm in the Northeast, which is my main base of operations, but the Rec. Therapy Department at the VA Medical Center in San Diego needs some repairs done to one or two acoustic guitars they have in their program.

Fellow TB'er Cyclopsbookworm just donated a guitar to this VAMC, and I'm in the process of guiding him over there to bring it to them. He is a San Diego area resident, so he is helping directly in his local area.

If there are any TB'ers in that region who could restring and setup guitars for the SD VAMC, let me know. I've never been to that facility so I don't know what kind of shape their gear is in. I would put you directly in touch with the staff at the facility that oversees the program.

They are also very short budgeted with the music program, so they would be delighted if anyone doing any tech work would be able to provide strings, a tuning peg here or there, or other similar small parts as part of the repair.

I'm getting in touch with more VAMC facilities in various locations as I go, so there may be further updates. I am primarily matching resources directly with needs wherever they happen to be found, and building a network of helping hands in areas where there are VA facilities. I am not soliciting monetary donations for this effort.

Thanks, all.
  2. cyclopsbookworm

cyclopsbookworm Mutant Werewolf Supporting Member

Right on. I do some tech stuff as well, but mostly just on electric instruments. If they have any of those and not just acoustics I can help them out with that. I'm not familiar with bridge and nut adjustments on acoustic instruments tho.
  3. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Yeah! Hampton VAMC checking in. I can fix some stuff up, plus now you've got me wondering if we could use the big Spinal Cord Injury dining room for instrument storage and playing, since it's only used for dining so far as I know. I haven't scoped it out for closet space, etc, but I'm going to find our rec director and explore facility-wide possibilities. I know we have some players in our patient population. They come out for the picnics and jam.
  4. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

I didn't know they did this , as a vet I think it's awesome. We don't get jack any more so music gear for our brothers is cool. I'm in FL so I might be able to help with that here if needed. Any info on making local donations?
  5. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Thank you kurosawa and grendle for your interest and help. I look forward to hearing more about the Hampton VAMC, and I will locate the facility in central FL that has the greatest needs and obtain contact info for the staff there.