1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Repedal - expression pedal shaper - doubletime wobble-bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MasterBrew, Nov 7, 2013.

1. MasterBrew

MasterBrew

Hi :bassist::bassist::bassist:
    This might be interesting to everybody who is using expression enabled effect devices.
    As a bass player who doesn’t mind to use some gear to pimp up my sound, I like to use an expression pedal to modulate the filter frequency of a low pass filter. For me the iron ether xerograph deluxe low pass filter does a great job producing authentic wobble bass lines. When trying to sound like a real dubstep wobble bass synthesizer the only problem seems to be the speed limitation, as even Usain Bolt can’t move his feet as fast as a beat synchronized lfo in a synthesizer can do.
    You might connect a tap tempo lfo to the low pass filter but this means that you always have to readjust the tempo when your drummer is floating. If you want to retain full control over the modulation, you will have to stay by your expression pedal.

But how can you speed up the modulation tempo using an expression pedal without risking serious damage to your feet? :help:
    I searched the internet for a solution but could not find any. Finally I asked Neels, an old friend of mine, to build me something that could double the taper of the response of my expression pedal. Neels is a great guy and knows everything about programming and electronics, and he understood my worries as he is a bass player himself.

He needed some months to finish the first prototype of the ‘Repedal’, and when he handed it to me, I found myself in wobble paradise. :hyper:

[​IMG]

Repedal is a digital expression pedal shaper, which allows changing the taper of the expression pedal response in every way you can think of. There are some similarities to the Expressionator from Mission Engineering, but there are many important functions Expressionator is missing. Normally, an expression pedal consists of a linear pot, with the minimum value at heel position and the maximum value at toe position. This means, when connected to the filter frequency of a low pass filter, moving the foot from heel to toe and back to heel produces one ‘wob’. Connect the expression pedal to Repedal and Repedal to the expression input of the filter device and you can easily double the modulation speed by adding one slope to the output wave. There are now two maximum values, one at heel and one at toe and one minimum value in between. When you move your foot at the same speed as before, the wobble speed is in double time. This function already allows creating complex rhythmic patterns as it is easily possible to wobble slow or fast, e.g. in triplets or sixteenth notes with some practice, over a dubstep beat at 140 bpm. And this is only one of hundreds of possibe settings. There are two outputs, so you can control two expression enabled devices simultaneously. You can edit both output channels individually, add as many slopes as you want (up to 128 :D), invert the waveform or bend it to taste. Also sawtooth and staircase waveforms with different numbers of steps can be created. Settings can be saved on three slots.

I tested the Iron Ether Xerograph and Frantabit with Repedal and both are working great. Controlling both together makes you feel like a lion tamer. The fun is already endless, though it is only the first prototype. The next and final version will have an additional tap tempo lfo and other great features.

If you are interested, check out this website:

http://updn-lfo.de/

What other features wouldn’t you want to miss? Write us a message for questions and ideas.
    Neels is taking preorders for the final Repedal, which will be finished soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

Nice! I'd love to see a video demo if you get the chance.
  3. MasterBrew

MasterBrew

I will make a video within the next few days.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would love to see the final graphics on the enclosure look exactly like the exposed circuitboard of the prototype!
  5. behndy

behndy

yeah. the circuit is BEAUTIFUL.

this is interesting. i use a Source Hot Hand for faster movements, and Jean's Expressionator has been a GODSEND, but this is a cool different approach.

eta on when they're available? price range?

thanks for sharing!
  6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Very interested! Looking forward to a demo and pricing info...
  7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Thanks Masterbrew for letting us know about this.
    I've been looking for something like this.

Very cool.
  8. Yurtra

Yurtra

Will the tap tempo LFO mode have expression control over the beat ratio while maintaining a fixed tempo? In other words, will it be possible to cycle through 2x, 3x, 4x, 8x, 1/2x (these are just examples) multiples of the rate using just the expression pedal?

Also, will it be possible to program a "patch" so that it doesn't output any expression signals to one of the two pedals this thing is plugged into?

EDIT: I guess you could theoretically do this by programming 0 slopes for whatever effect it is that you want to "bypass." Am I understanding that correctly?
  9. MasterBrew

MasterBrew

Yes. There will be different LFO modes.
    Drive: Tempo can be adjusted with a tap tempo button (also midi sync is planned) while the expression pedal increases or decreases the rate (like driving a car). Every possible multiples of the rate can be programmed to the expression pedal output.
    Pump: The expression pedal can be used like a tap tempo button while the save slots switch between different multiples of the rate.

And yes, 0 slopes can be used to "bypass" one output. When you set one output channel to 0 slopes, the last epression pedal position is used as a fixed value for this output.
  10. behndy

behndy

does sound cool. only thing i would suggest is try to get your hands on a few of the more popular pedals to try it on. i love the Hot Hand, but it moves too fast for most of my stuff. Strymon Mobius and the Eventide H9 go bleghhhhhhhhh at too fast of movements.
  11. Yurtra

Yurtra

Oh man...I want this so bad. :bawl:

Also, I gotta agree with bongo about the enclosure graphics. That would look sweeeeeet.
  12. MasterBrew

MasterBrew

Please check out the website http://updn-lfo.de/contact.html and write Neels a message. He will hurry up when some people show interest.
  13. behndy

behndy

will do!
  14. neeels

neeels

Disclosures:
    Engineer, updn-lfo.de
    Hi everyone,

I thought I'd drop by and say hello -- this is Neels from updn-lfo.de. Thanks for the great resonance!

In reaction to this thread, I've added a little glimpse of the future and a survey to the Repedal description.

Please note though, I will probably not be around this forum as much as MasterBrew (or anyone). My preferred channel for discussion of Repedal features would be on the updn-lfo mailing list, please see http://updn-lfo.de/contact.html (It's possible to post without subscription).

I am looking forward to hearing from as many people as possible. If you are interested in having the Repedal sooner more than later, maybe you can tell one or two others about it... :)

Thanks!
    ~Neels
  15. MasterBrew

MasterBrew

If you want to see repedal in action, here are the links to the video demos I made the last days.

Video 1 presents the double time setting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALkGUrxaf8

Video 2 shows an example how repedal controls two effect devices individually at the same time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSCiLT-kFE

Video 3 shows how it sounds when you put multiple slopes on repedal's output channel, here 12 slopes to produce sixtuplets.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otpH5gbBqxM

I plan another video presenting the saw wave and the staircase settings but this will take some time as I am very busy the next two weeks.