Replace Mesa Boogie 400+ with ????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by enjoyfebruary, Dec 18, 2013.

1. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

I'll keep it short. Mesa Boogie 400+ = Tons of balls and I love the tone. Don't love the weight or the rack case requirement. I'm currently playing to about 50-75 people so Master Vol is usually on 2 and Pre on 8. I ALWAYS play with an 80's ProCo Rat but if I could get a smiliar tone from the prospective replacement that would be great. I'm currently play an Ampeg 610HLF. Looking at a few different amps.

Ampeg V4-B Reissue
    EBS T90 Classic
    Fender 100t
    Musicman HD150

What do you guys feel would be the closest raw tone to the Mesa with a smaller package? Thanks for your feedback.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

You should try out a Genz-Benz Streamliner - it does the Mesa tube sound extremely well, and has one of the best DIs(tube driven) you'll ever hear as a bonus...

- georgestrings

3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    There are tons of cool amps out there but nothing has nearly the same voice. I've looked and owned tons of amps and Mesa amps.

None of these amps you are mentioning look much lighter.

Basically you are going for some pretty heavy overdrive/distortion?

This is the thing, you've already "won"... not many contenders and none just like it.

4. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

Thanks for the recommendation. I have looked at the Streamliner but I am trying to stay all tube. Call me old school lol.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Who you kiddin? It's a nice amp but but nothing alike. STL is like an M-Pulse at best, just less versatile.

7. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

I own a Mesa Boogie 400+, a 70's Ampeg V4, and a GK800RB. I feel that I can get a pretty similar tone when I downsize and use my GK800RB when I'm not using the 400+. Plus, I love the fact that it's lightweight. If you're using a Rat I'm assuming you play somewhat aggressively? Either way, I think that the Boogie and 800RB compliment each other well and the GK 800RB can easily fill the shoes of the Boogie when need be. Both have that modern hi-fi feel but they both can get warm when tweaking the settings. An both have that infamous badass midrange grind. I haven't played a Reissue V-4 but there is no way I would go to the V4 to fill in the tone of the 400+ or GK 800RB. While I love the V4 to death, I would not use it as a substitute for the other amps.

8. Yango

Yango

Well, if you're already a Boogie man, then why not consider the Mesa Boogie Bass Prodigy—29lbs., 250/125 watts of all tube power. Sir Paul rocks one, and he's been a Mesa 400+ guy forever.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/prodigy/bassProdigy.html
    There are some outstanding demo videos of the amp, showcasing how versatile, and kick ass it is—take a look while you're over there.

I'd love to get my hands on one... but I've already got a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 12" combo and a Gallien Krueger MB Fusion 500, so, I'm well covered in the amp department for the moment.

9. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

Unfortunately the new Boogie stuff is out of my price range. Also not wild about the cosmetics on the new amps.

10. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

I had considered an 800RB as one of my favorite players uses one. (Brian from No Knife). And yes I play super aggressively. There isn't a song in my set I don't play chords in. :)

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

What can I say - IMO, none of the listed options represent a worthwhile change...

While the Streamliner doesn't completely "act" like an all-tube amp, it does come close - and IMO, has a "Mesa-like" tone, atleast more so than any of the listed choices...

- georgestrings

12. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

I got my GK 800RB for $350 here on the TB classifieds and I couldn't be any happier. It's an incredible head. If you have the money I'd say give it a shot and if you don't like it you can easily resell it.

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

That's gonna limit your options all right. All-tube means inherently big & heavy. Otherwise, why would the Mesa Big Block 750 not be a suitable option? :meh:

MM

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you want to stay all tube, you might have to raise your budget.
    Fender, Mesa and Ampeg all have great 100 watt tube amps out right now.
    IMO; buying new, with warranty products is a cost differential over old used stuff that makes sense, with tube amps.

15. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

I don't mind things being heavy (to a point). My main concern in form factor is overall dimensions. Got a new car and the 400+ with the ATA Shock case only fits a certain way which is not super helpful.

I've tried both the Big Block and the M6 and I just felt like there was something off about them.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You might also want to give the Mesa Walkabout an audition.

17. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

Also I was borrowing a '71 V4b for a while and did like the tone. (thats why I've included the reissue on the list). That v4 was definitely a bare to lug around though.

18. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

A Walkabout is one of the best options.

I replaced my 400+ with a Mesa Prodigy. It's absolutely awesome. That would be my #1 recommendation, but I understand that it's a pricey amp. I know you also said you're not crazy about the looks, but if you can get past all of that it will do everything you're looking for.

I also shouldn't say I replaced my 400+ with it, as I still have and will not be getting rid of the 400+ :)

19. chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Doesnt that case weigh about as much as your head? I was wondering what your gripe with the weight was since like 45lbs isnt that unmanageable. Maybe just get a smaller rack case. I use a shallow Gator 4-space which has a slightly more compact form factor than similar SKB cases. Weight/size is totally manageable. Moving my head is a delight compared to moving my cabs...

20. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1

Maybe the best thing for you to do would be look into a non plus 400 (6 less power tubes, a handful of weight shaved off).

21. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

If you liked the tone of the original V4 you'll enjoy the reissue, and with a master volume you can crank the pre for some drive. I prefer the ampeg tone stack to the fender/mesa style so that would be what I would go with. The 100T is supposed to be good and has a blend of "vintage" fender EQ and "modern" with a boostable mid control and distortion control. That might give you more flexibility. I had an HD130 a while back, did not care for that amp at all. Very bright and the solid state preamp made it very stiff and sterile IMO. Haven't tried that EBS.