Replace Mesa cabs w/Bergantino

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MCB 5150, Mar 22, 2014.

1. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been playing through my Walkabout and two 15" Scout cabs (each 4 ohm) for a few years. I recently picked up a TH500 and want to get some new 8 ohm cabs (don't want to convert the Scouts to 8 ohms). I'm about to order two Bergantino HD-112 cabs to keep with the portability.

Have any of my fellow TBers played & compared these two cabs? I plan on using the Walkabout with both cab setups and I'd like to hear how the Bergs stand up against the Scout 15s.

2. KJung

KJung

Edit: Misread as CN112... fix in an additional post below!

That will be a very different experience for you. To me (IMO and IME), the Scout 15 cabs are a bit scooped, lots of boom down low, and a pretty significant dip in the upper mids (which you could fix somewhat with the newer models with the switchable crossover).

The CN112's will be tighter and punchier down low, MUCH more even in the low to mid midrange, and much more even through the transition from the top of the driver to the tweeter. The crossover/tweeter is also much more natural and 'non metalic' sounding, for lack of a better description.

If you dig 'deep bass and scooped mids', which you can achieve pretty nicely with the Scout 115 cabs, then you might not like the CN112's (especially paired with the midrange snarl of the TH500. If you found your Walkabout Scout 115 rig a bit to bloomy and lacking mid force and punch, you will be a happy camper.

Not a better or worse thing (although I'm all about the CN/TH500 pairing), but a VERY different thing.

Edit: The Walkabout is a thing of beauty with the Berg CN's also, but of course, the Walkabout is a thing of beauty with most cabs. A bit sweeter up top and a bit bigger, bloomier down low than the TH500.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Maybe you already know this, but you could simply plug those 2 scout cabs in through a series-box/cable to achieve an 8-ohm combined load...

4. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Ken,
    He referenced the HD112.
    What are your thoughts on the HD versus the CN?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

Aaaarghhh. I'm getting old, I think! Thanks for the catch.

The HD112 x 2 rig sits kind of in-between the Scout 115 and the CN112 tonality. A bit more mid relaxed than the CN112, with a bit more low end extension. Smoother, less bright upper mids. However, MUCH more balanced through the midrange than the Scout 115 cabs.

So, IMO, two HD112's would give him much of what he liked (I assume) with his Scout 115's, but better punch and note articulation. Weight would be about the same I think (HD112 maybe a smidge more), but the HD112's are much smaller boxes and much easier to schlep.

With the TH500, I greatly prefer the CN's, since the TH500 can get a little 'bloomy/mushy' with a cab that has a high ratio of deep bass to midrange. But it still sounds darn good with the HD112's.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Most anything Bergantino would sound super. Good luck

8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

The HD112 is a fantastic box. The 2fer stack with a WA should be an excellent working rig.

9. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thank you Ken for your comments. Without being able to test drive the Bergs before I buy them, I was hoping for positive feedback. I'm anxious to get my hands on them.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I played Mesa Powerhouse cabs for years.... A 115, a couple of 210s and a 410. Different tonally than the Scout cabs but I replaced them with Berg NEO AE210s a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Amazing cabs IMO. The HDs are a tad different but much more like Berg AE or CN than anything from Mesa.

I would try any Bergs before buying though just to get at least a feel for them. I personally love the tight punch and how articulate Berg cabs are (to generalize) but they may not be for everyone.

11. chris_b

chris_b

I was talking to my drummer last night about different cabs and he just shook his head and said, "You'll have a tough time finding something that sounds better than this", pointing to the CN212.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd go with the CN112s, and they sound incredible with the TH500.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He's right.

14. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Scooping the tone is good for Lee Sklar. Anyone ever take a good look at his tone settings.. ? It'll freak you out..

I have a Mesa WA. and i LOVE it! I have the 12" version... I have run it in conjunction with some Bag End cabs 12s and 15s and my GB Uber115... It seems be fine... That head is syrupy and great..
    Ive been on a run of smaller arena type gigs and Im on IEMs and using only the Walkabout... No problems at all. Quite nice actually.

I have not tried the CN212 yet.. But what i have read it is a Keeper..
    And from what i have read here, i think i would like much more than the HT112ERs that i had. I didnt like them at all. TH500 or WA might sound real nice with a CN212

15. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

with my WA, I moved from all WA/Scout cabs in various combinations (1x12, 2x1x12, 1x15, 1x12+1x15) and ultimately I went with a Berg CN212 last year. It saved my WA from being a second/back-up amp for me (due mostly to its headroom limits @ 4ohms into the less efficient WA/Scout cabs) The 104db, 4ohm CN212 gets way more out of WA than the Scout/WA cabs did/could.

I know Ken replied for the HD as well as the CN, and I only have experience with the CN212, but after several years of steady gigging with the Mesa cabs, and not quite getting what I wanted - overall volume, full and tight low end (tricky combination that) - I am once again totally in love with my WA amp.

I still think the Mesa cabs are very sweet sounding for small gigs and for mic'd recording situations (in combination with the WA DI)So, I did keep the WA combo 1x12, but it's the Berg that gets 90% of the gigs these days.

good luck

16. Alexander

Alexander

I love the tone I get from my WA and HD212. I've never played through the Scout 15s, but have through the 12s. I prefer the Bergs.

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of the latest Bergantino's cabs. I do own an HT210/HT115 setup an IMO they're fantastic for a lot of different styles, but for Rock, I personally prefer my Mesa PH212 cabs.

I suggest you demo the HD-112 and also take a listen to the Mesa PH112.

IMO you can't go wrong with either brand, both companies put out incredible products.

18. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I was VERY impressed with the Mesa PH112 cabs that i played recently .. Great bottom, but good usable Mids and nice top end that was not too sizzly.. Extremely loud output for size.. And cheaper than Aggy or Bergantino by a $100 or so...