1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replace my Blackout Blunderbuss with.......?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by russpurdy, Feb 1, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

So I've had a Blackout blunderbuss for awhile. I love it on guitar but I don't play much guitar anymore. I like it on bass but I wouldn't say I'm absolutely set on it. I guess I'm getting restless to try something new. Any suggestions on a replacement muff style fuzz? I was thinking Grey Stache maybe?

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

It depends on what controls you want, size, price and even custom options. My personal favorite that's relatively inexpensive and has loads of control is the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Another favorite is the Fuzzrocious Grey Stache (and lots of custom options available there that all sound great!). Another personal favorite is the EHX Sovtek Russian Big Muff (which can be modded to suit your needs). I wasn't a fan of the EHX Bass Big Muff Pi or the regular Big Muff Pi.

3. russpurdy

russpurdy

Well, not a hundred percent sure on what I would like but something in the muff family, under 200 used, preferably mid boosted or a way to control mids.

4. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

In the muff family, it's hard to go wrong with either the Swollen Pickle, Grey Stache, or Tall Font Russian. I personally settled on the Grey Stache, but the other two are great as well. The great thing about the Grey Stache is definitely the options when you get it custom made.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Guinness20

Guinness20

tall font russian? The only muff fuzz I know that if anything adds low end!

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

No mids on the TFR. I would go with a Grey Stache. There's an older green one in the classifieds right now that looks like it's from the same batch as one I just sold. The older ones are a little warmer and darker than the newer ones (at least that I've tried). Great civil war style muff with mid control, more similar to the Musket than a green style muff like the TFR.

8. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Take a look at the Skreddy Supa Tone. That's what's going to replace my Musket for now. There's a mids switch. I like the scooped tone of the pedal a little better but you can tell immediately that the mids boost would bring it forward in a mix.

9. russpurdy

russpurdy

Gonna check the skreddy out just for fun. I think I'm actually going to keep the blunderbuss for now but I just picked up a tall font russian so we will see how that pairs!

10. Guinness20

Guinness20

I can't decide - love the tfr for the low end, the musket for the mids - and then there's the swollen pickle. That thing is crazy versatile! Isn't there an internal switch which can get a more traditional muff sound?

11. spaz21387

spaz21387

How different is the blunderbuss from the musket? I love my musket on bass!

12. Guinness20

Guinness20

Been wondering that as well, heard people raving about the blunderbuss but can't find any clips.

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

stay away from the swollen pickle it had too much low end and just ended up sounding muddy. I hated that thing in the band mix. I found a video blackout did comparing the musket and blunderbuss on guitar and the blunderbuss seems tighter and thinner sounding. while the musket was more like a traditional big muff it was bassier sounding to me.

14. Guinness20

Guinness20

Now that is surprising to hear! So I guess the decision is once again between the tfr and the musket.

15. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I'd personally go with the Grey Stache for a few reasons-

It's got the mid control, which is very useful
    There's the tone bypass footswitch option, which intrigues me greatly
    I have used & gigged with Fuzzrocious stuff for a while, always had compliments on my tone, and I know they'll hold up (had to get an LED re-soldered once, think it came loose in shipping from another company

I don't particularly want fuzz, or need one, but once a month or so I'll listen to demos of it and nearly talk myself into buying one.