Replace Pups and remove pre on my Jazz Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ninerfan, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

My 2006 Jazz Deluxe just doesn't do it for me. I love my MIA jazz with NJ4’s, then I switch to my Deluxe and it seems dull in comparison. The tone just doesn't seem to have much character. I've spent time researching replacing the preamp with one that has both passive and active capabilities. Then I realize that my L2500 is always in passive mode and I love my passive Jazz, so the pre would probably always be disengaged. So I decided to remove the pre and go passive.
    I also love the sound of my single coils and thought the SCN's might not have much character themselves. They do have great reviews, but they don't seem to have the Jazz character I'm used to. Maybe it's the pre and the pickups are getting some of the blame? IDK. Anyway, I was looking for some Fralins to drop in and came across a used set of the Hanson vintage 4's. they were a reasonable price so I thought I would give them a try. The sound clips sound great and they fared really well in the shootout against Fralins someone did here on TB.

Aaaannnnnyyyyyywwwaaayyyy, am I being stupid? Is this a waste of time and $? I am keeping the preamp intact so I can easily switch it back. I love the size, weight, looks and playability of the Deluxe just not that hot on the tone.:meh:
  2. Vanceman

Vanceman

I would agree with you. My 2001 deluxe with the noiseless pickups was dull. Everyone who played it always dimed the mids. I converted to passive with CTS pots and Duncan pickups. Much happier. The kit came with a really small disk capacitor that acted strange. I replaced it with a Sprague Orange Drop ($4) for a noticable improvment in performance. More consistent rolloff, preserved more highs until fully off.

I might try the preamp with the duncan pickups.
  3. ninerfan

ninerfan

I'm going to make it so it's easily reversible. All new pots and wiring. I'll leave the pre wired to the pots and take out the pups and batteries. New pups wired to new pots and existing jack. I even got a stacked pot that won't be wired so it will look the same as original.
    I'm hoping this puts this bass over the edge because I love everything about it excepts its sterile tone.
  4. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

If you like the NJ4s in your MIA, why not use them in your Deluxe also?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ninerfan

ninerfan

I'm cheap. I was looking in the classifieds for used pups. No NJ4s. I've been wanting to try Fralins, but found the Hanson's instead. I dig the sound clips of them on the Lakland site.
  7. ninerfan

ninerfan

OK, it's done.
    Hanson pup's, CTS pots, new Sunbeams.
    Initial reaction.........Hell Yeah!!!!!!
    Sounds really good so far. Was only able to play it through my headphone amp tonight, but it's got all the character it was lacking before! Tomorrow i'll run it through my SVT and band practice on Monday. Love the smaller, lighter body, palyability and now sound of this bass!
  8. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Short while ago I had a 2000 MIM Jazz Deluxe I sold to make room for my Warwick. It was AMAZING sounding, so sometimes I think I made the wrong move LOL. I remember liking the stock pickups, but when one of them died I had to replace it. I ended up with the Fender Samarium Cobalt noiseless which were unbelievable sounding. And IMO the stock pre sounded good.
  9. ninerfan

ninerfan

The SCN's are what I pulled out of mine. I'm not sure if it was the pre or the pickups I was unhappy with, but I knew I would dig passive with single coils, so that's the route I took. Different strokes I guess.:p