Replace stock Passive with EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mansjasont, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mansjasont

mansjasont

I recently finished building my first bass, which I love and has become my #1 bass. I have an Ibanez that is now my #2. I was thinking about upgrading the Ibanez for a while but never had time, now that it's #2, I still want to upgrade it and its not a big deal if its out of commission for a while.

My question is, being a complete n00b with active pickups, does this set (http://www.bestbassgear.com/emg-pickups-pj-bass.htm) come with everything I need to switch from passive to active? What else would I need to do/get?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, that would be everything you'd need to make it work, but the controls that it comes with won't take you into active EQ territory, meaning they'll work more like a passive bass and not allow you to boost frequencies, only cut. I HIGHLY recommend the BQC preamp. It has a mid control that I've come to lean heavily on in my basses that have EMG's.

3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I tried a set of them when I was looking for pickups for my P Lyte. I thought they sounded very similar to the regular EMG PJ's except with a lot brighter top and extended lows. Nice sound for some, but I liked the PJ's better. I know a lot of people love those X's though...I'm just not one of them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

your spot on Jimmy, though i would add the voicing to me is quite noticeably different...but for my brand of music these really helped me cut through the mix...over the standard P/J's