1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replacement bridge and tuning machines for ESP LTD Surveyor-5

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by awamori, Jan 5, 2013.

1. awamori

awamori

A couple of questions about some replacement parts for my favorite LTD...

1.I can't decide bridge to replace the crappy Licensed Wilkinson bridge that ESP LTD puts on these basses. I have listed my options below.

Hipshot A-Style Brass (Gold) or Hipshot A-Style Aluminium (Black) or ABM 3705 (gold or black)

2.What are good replacements for the ESP Vintage style tuning machines?

3.Can't decide on what color matches the snow white body and maple fretboard. Black or Gold...

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the bridge and keys look perfectly fine to me! in fact, the raw brass saddles and big cloverleaf keys are pretty cool!

you won't gain anything by changing them, except maybe if the stock keys aren't lightweight and you get lightweight keys.

3. awamori

awamori

I forgot to mention that the saddles on the B and A strings don't keep the action that I set them to.

The tuning machines also need replacement because D and G "elephant ears" have broken off when the bass fell off it's hanger. It hit the side of the SWR refrigerator and my Fender's cases when it fell.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The parts you mentionned are all fine. We can't really make a personal choice for you.
    Since it's a Fender style model, I'd check eBay for used Fender parts. Hundreds will pop up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

fixing the saddle issue is a matter of a couple drops of loc-tite, and replacement keys can likely be gotten from ESP.

7. awamori

awamori

Tried the loc-tite fix on the A string but the action kept on lowering after setting it up.

Anyways ESP doesn't sell replacement parts and my instrument is out of warranty.They just keep saying that they use standard bass parts.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

They do. Depending on models, their stuff is either Gotoh or generic tuners that follow standard sizes.

9. awamori

awamori

Thanks I just ordered a set of GB528's from Gotoh.

Anyways there's a six week wait on retail orders from Gotoh.

10. walterw

then you didn't do it right.