Replacement Casters for Ampeg 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nickismusic, Mar 6, 2014.

1. nickismusic

nickismusic Supporting Member

About a year ago I locally purchased an Ampeg 8x10, the guy I bought it off of said the original owner replaced the casters on it. The casters he put on it were a little too big, causing the cab to slightly tilt forward. It never really caused any problems, but now the wheels are starting to deteriorate. What is the best solution for replacing the wheels?
    I've seen on here some people go to Home Depot to just buy more casters to put back on it. If that is the case, is there a specific size of wheel I need?
    I've also seen people switch to having 4 wheels on the cab. My only concern is it rolling away. I assume I could get locking casters.
    Are those the best 2 options I have?
  2. miholc

miholc

:D
  3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I replaced the castors on my 8 10 with some of the spinning ones from home depot. I had a friend weld the spinning part so they dont spin.If the castors you have on now have a nut on one or both sides of the wheels , you can remove the nut , pull out the axle and the wheel will drop out. Measure the diameter of the wheel , go to home depot (or lowes or any good hardware store)get the same diameter wheels and bolt them back in.Some music stores carry replacement castors so you might try that. You can get stationary castors at home depot but the bolt pattern probably wont be the same. In that case you will have to re drill the cab for the new bolt pattern. If you do this make sure you plug the old holes or the cab might whistle through them. Small wood dowels and some wood glue will work for this. Be sure the dowels are a snug fit. If the new wheels still give you a down tilt , you can get feet for the front of the bottom of the cab to level it up. Or maybe , just maybe you could google the Ampeg customer service number and order a new set of factory castors. Somewhere in all this blithering , I hope you find a solution.
  4. rickwebb

rickwebb

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Fliptops +10000000. Its the same stuff Ampeg uses. Super easy to fix. It will be like having a brand new cab.
  7. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Just checked out the fliptops site. They have the castors you need in the hardware section for @ 9 bucks each. I just wrote down the website on my SVT folder for future reference. Now that I think of it , I have seen references to fliptops on TB before. All good feedback too. Thanks for reminding me.