1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replacement for pedal train 1 case?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Robin Ruscio, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

I have a pedal train 1. The hard case is not like the larger ATA case for the pedal train 2, which I like because it was lighter.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/pedaltrain-pt-1-hc-pedalboard-with-hardshell-case

Unfortunately, one of the bolts gave out and the case is on it's last legs after less than a year. I might be able to get it replaced under warranty but who wants something that is not going to hold up? I'm using this case weekly and sometimes it goes in my bands 15 ft truck with our PA and racks and needs something more durable.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest some alternative hard cases; maybe your favorite people who do custom cases or something.

2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

So, it'll cost you more than the PT-1 originally did, but I bought a full flight case from Island Cases, they have them on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATA-Case-fo...150?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item56549a426e

I called them up and had them do a custom one for me so I could get a recessed handle. I also had them add 8 inches on the length, so I can fit two more pedals. It's a great case and has held up way better than the PT-1 case. Mine ended up being $200 shipped.

This is a terrible picture while my pedalboard is very much in experimental mode, but it'll show you what the extra 8" gains you in case that's of interest. The M5 and EP-2 are in the added area to the left of the PT-1.

[​IMG]

3. Robin Ruscio

So you have the PT1 frame on the right and then put a few more pedals directly on the case? Can't quite tell with the pic.

I'm glad you posted this case because it's nice to see one with exact dimensions.

4. Robin Ruscio

I just realized this is the same case manufacturer as "Road Cases". I was trying to compare the two LOL!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnbegone

Yep exactly. The frame is all the way to the right and the EP-2 and M5 are just velcroed to the lid itself which is carpeted. I cut out some egg crate foam and shoved that into the top of the case to make it snug to the pedals when closed in case anyone flipped it upside down.

And yes, Island Cases has 3-4 other names for Internet marketing purposes. All the same company.

7. Robin Ruscio

I am leaning towards a Brady case. I can get it for $210+ shipping, or add handles and casters for another $80. With shipping that's likely to be over $320 or something. Plus 4-6 weeks.

I'm sure it would be higher quality.

BUT . . . I could also just get a Pedaltrain 2 in a flight case for $190 at Guitar center before my gigs this weekend. My guitarist has one and it's held up well. It's heavy, which is why I avoided it originally and went with the PT1 , but it would be cheaper than adding the Brady and give me that much more room on my board. I would have to reinstall CIOKs power supply though, which was a chore and invloved drilling metal and using a rivet gun. (Which i don't own.)

On the other hand, I could also probably get a new PT1 case under warranty and sell the PT1 I have.

Tough call. I'm almost 50/50 on this. Any thoughts?

8. johnbegone

I personally like my pedalboard having a lift off case instead of having to take it out of the case like the normal PT cases. If that doesn't matter to you, then buying the PT-2 sounds like your best bet. It's a cheaper option and it's a solid case, plus you gain 2 inches on the board. Redoing the power supply is annoying, but at least it's a one time fix.

If you want a live-in case and love the size of your PT-1, I would say the one from Island or Brady would both be fine. I've had no issues with my case from Island, but you probably do get a little better build quality with your added investment at Brady.

If you care, you'll never get your investment back on a "custom" case like the one from Brady when you sell your PT-1. A PT-2 w/ it's case will retain its value much more. I'm always buying and selling stuff, so that's important to me.

9. Robin Ruscio

Hmm, I'm still not sure. You've got me thinking maybe the Island case would be sufficient. Makes more sense $ wise.

I just read a bunch of bad reviews online of the Island that made want to upgrade to the Brady. Also the handle and wheels make sense but add a lot more expense.

I am using this case about 6-7 times per month currently and getting paid well for but that still a lot of cash for a case. Having a hard time getting psyched on it.

10. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Another option is to order a PT-2 road case and use it with your PT-1. A friend of mine has a PT-2 and I tried my PT-1 in it and it works just fine. Holds it snug.

Those boards are only 2 inches width in difference, and all the foam holds the board in place. Plus then you have little extra room for cables and such; or a VP-Jr turned on it's side.

Food for thought.

joconnorwi likes this.
  11. Robin Ruscio

I looked at my guitarists PT2 case last night and decided it was not that great in terms of interior foam- really not much besides in the lid. He also said his stuff slid around inside (the foam did not hold board in place well and the case was larger than his PT2) and that he had to replace a latch. And no lift off feature. And they no longer sell the case separate from the board

If I'm gonna spend the $ I might as well get something nicer.

I'm leaning towards a brady case right now. They have PT1 size for $210.
    http://www.bradycases.com/products/pedaltrain-pt-1-case

It's a little more $ than the cases from safe case and island on ebay but I've looked at the design I bet its more functional and slightly better made.

He has an option to get 1/4 polypropylene instead of 1/4" birch for $50 and he told me it would save 5-6 lbs. Anyone have thoughts on poly vs wood?

I also am really deliberating whether it's worth getting the recessed handle and caster to make it easier to move on a case of this size and weight for another $80. (My board is loaded to the max.) Most of the time it goes in the truck with other gear and gets there on top of our large rack cases of cables,etc, but sometimes I take it home and have to carry it a few blocks from clubs to my car.

I'm usually decisive on this stuff but its not cheap and I want to get it all right, which is hard to sight unseen.

Any other thoughts appreciated and I hope this thread helps others down the line!

12. johnbegone

I don't have any experience with the poly case but I'm a big fan of saving weight. My pedalboard case is a little heavy, but it's not crazy (remember I added 8 inches and two extra pedals), but we generally throw it on a guitar cab or rack case with wheels to roll it into the venue. If I needed to carry it, I could do it.

Adding wheels and a handle seems cumbersome and it would add weight to the case. If it were me I'd not do that. You could get one of those little amp dollies if you thought it got too heavy and you knew you had to carry it a long ways? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-folding-hand-cart

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

14. Robin Ruscio

15. Robin Ruscio

I'm glad you said that. I have a great amp foldup dolly I use all the time and its always in my car. I think you're right; I'll just use that when I need to move the case by myself (which Like you, isnt much since it usually go out on larger rack cases w wheels).

I think I'll spend the $ on the poly to shave a few lbs instead. It will be $260+ shipping, so a little more than a hundred dollars more than the PT2 case but I'm sure lighter, lift off lid, snugger fit, and much more likely to hold up over time.