Replacement for Quan Badass II?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Villanova, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Villanova

Villanova

Hey TB,

I've tried searching around but couldn't find an answer to m question. Hopefully you guys can help.

I might be buying a 60th Anniversary Highway One Precision Bass that comes with a Quan Badass II bridge.

From what I understand, it mounts with the 5-hole design. What are my options for replacing the Badass II with if I don't want it?

Apparently, the Badass is a drop-in replacement for modern, 5-hole Fender bridges.

Does anyone know if a Hipshot bridge will fit? Can someone lead me to the proper Fender bridge that will fit?

Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

why do you want to replace it?

we have tons of threads about leo quans not sounding better than low-mass bridges, but nobody with a clue thinks the quan isn't an excellent bridge.

anyway the vintage threaded-rod saddle (my favorite) would fit right on.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Walter with one caveat: the BAII will leave an imprint in the finish of the body that will be visible since most replacement bridges (especially the traditional Fender bent plate bridges) are slightly smaller.

That said the BA bridges are as good as any bridge you would choose to replace it with...unless you play a lot of church gigs and are apprehensive about having the word "Badass" stamped into your bridge. If that's the case I would recommend a Hipshot A style brass bridge.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

ha!

and +1 about the imprint; the quan is pretty big compared to most others, so you might have an outline in the finish.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Hipshot A, Gotoh 210 and Babicz

7. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Nothing a narrow strip of tape couldn't fix. Heck, use one of the nicer looking label-maker tapes (modern-type, not the old dymos) and it can become a "Rock of Ages" bridge, or whatever else you'd like it to say instead. Or blank.