Replacement fretless neck for MIM 5-string Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Geri O, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Geri O

Geri O

Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Moses carbon graphite necks.

I have a 2000 MIM Fender Jazz 5-string that I converted to fretless a while back. I've come to realize that the neck on this bass is rather "chunky" or thick-feeling. I was trying to get used to it, but when I have to change basses during a set, it's really obvious and bothersome. My 98 Music Man 5-string Ray and my American Standard Precision feel better to me. I'm intrigued by the carbon graphite idea, although it would look kinda odd against the off-white body.

Also, can anyone recommend a source for a lined fretless neck for this bass (2000 MIM Jazz 5-string)?

Thank you.

2. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

I'm not clear if you mean you're only looking for a carbon graphite neck or not, but Warmoth makes a 'Standard MIM 5' neck. Good luck!

3. Geri O

Geri O

Thanx, no, I'm not looking exclusively for the carbon neck, I just found the idea intriguing. And the more I think about it, as I mentioned in the OP, I think the combination of the carbon neck and the off-white body would be too odd.

Thanx for the heads-up with the Warmoth neck! Cheers...

4. Geri O

Geri O

Well, since I posted this, I bought an American Standard Precision V that's an outstanding instrument! However, doncha know, the neck on this bass feels as wide (not chunky, now that I've explored the issue deeper) as the neck on the aforementioned MIM Jazz V.

Apparently, the Music Man Stingray neck is somewhat narrower and more comfortable to play. However, I spent quite a while yesterday on the Precision and got fairly comfortable with the neck. Then I spent a while going back and forth between the Precision and the MM. It's not a big deal anymore.

5. Register to disable this ad