1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

replacement Jazz p'ups that mesh with Fender pup's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Long Scale, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Long Scale

Long Scale

I've been a gearhead in the guitar world for along time. Now I'm enjoy the Bass playing world for the last 5 years. So sick off tuning the six-string guitar for perfect intonation for every chord! It's nice to just tune a Bass and groove!

Now that I'm getting different Basses I love to experiment with different pickups. I haven't find in here a guide for people who just want to replace 1 broken Fender Jazz pickup with a different brand but still work in-phase with the other Fender pickup. Yes I believe a new set of two pickups replaced maybe better but not always. Or just a rewind but for the mean time if someone needs a quick pickup.

So to start it off I have a MIJ Fender Fretless Jazz that the bridge pickup was dead. I put in a Fender CS 60's bridge from a set first just to see if I like it in the bridge before I added the CS 60's neck. Really didn't like it in that bass. So I tried a Lollar in the bridge, SWEET sound! but of course it was out of phase with the Fender neck pickup when both on full volume. So I had to put in the Lollar neck too. But in the future I want to just add a replacement for the bridge and use the Fender neck pickup that came with the MIJ fretless. And put the SWEET Lollars in my go too fretted Jazz Bass.

Please add your experience for 1 drop in replacement Brand specific Jazz pickup. you know: Duncan, Fralin, AERO, Dimarzio and others

Fender Jazz neck pickup / Lollar Jazz bridge pickup = not in-phase w/each other

thx

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Just swap the two wires on the pickup when it connects to the volume control. It will take you like 5 minutes.

They should be in phase, and I'd bet the Fenders are not in spec. Are the magnets opposite?