1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replacement MarkBass Tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MostlyBass, Jan 23, 2012.

1. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Can anyone recommend what / where to get a replacement tweeter for the MarkBass Mini CMD 121P

I did a gig last night and the sound tech noticed a lot of hissing from the tweeter. We turned down the treble to help it. After searching online this seems to be somewhat normal with the piezo tweeter. Can anyone advise me on a more permanent fix - like replacing the tweeter with a different kind (non- piezo) tweeter.

Thanks!

2. Russell L

Russell L

I'm not sure, myself, but I don't think mine works either, in my 151P cab. But, I'm just gonna leave it that way. I wonder if you could replace yours with a compression driver? They sound much better than a piezo. Might not fit, though, I dunno.

3. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

what about simply turning it off? having the same crappy hiss issue with my combo. read in another topic that rolling off the filter helps, but that implies having that filter on.

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The piezo you can simply disconnect for now. Leave it mounted in there though to plug the hole so it doesn't throw off the box tuning for the woofer.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

that's what I was thinking... the hiss now is gone! I must be hearing things, is it possible that the hiss has something to do with the electricity current in a city? I picked mine up today used, and when I got home it was hissing like a vacuum cleaner... it seems now (9:30PM) to be gone.

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Could be some interference, bad cords, grounds, etc. Was the treble knob maybe cranked and you didn't notice? Tweeters in and of themselves do not hiss. They just reproduce that noise that is being caused further up the chain. More noise from the amp, more hiss from the tweeter but it's not the tweeters fault, it's just doing it's job, reproducing what it's given.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

If you disconnect the tweeter, isn't the crossover still robbing all the highs from the woofer? I read a thread a while back where somebody disconnected the entire crossover/tweeter to wire the woofer up directly and said it made a great improvement to the sound.

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Most bass cabs don't have a full crossover, just a highpass filter on the tweeter to keep the lows out of it, the woofers already run full range. In the case of a piezo, you don't "need" a filter at all. In either case, yes, you should disconnect whatever's in there and see that the woofer is wired straight to the input jack if you don't want the tweeter.

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    To add something.....in a true crossover, and some filters, when you leave those parts in the circuit, but take the driver associated with them out of the circuit, it can cause the amp to see a short, which can obviously damage it. So, if you don't want the HF component, you should disconnect/remove/bypass/whatever those parts associated with it and make it an old-school speaker in a cabinet......it's good enough for Duck Dunn.

11. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

cool, man. thanks for the advices. taking it to a professional, to see what is really up. best.