1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replacement neck attachment question.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scottkarch, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Hi there.

I received an ibanez roadster Fretless neck to put on one of my fretted roadsters.

The main concern I had came true. The bass is an earlier model with the ibanez quadralock system and the new neck was from a later model with the plate and wood screws to attach the neck. Unfortunately the holes don't match up. They are far enough apart the I think I can drill new pilot holes and mount the neck. If I want to go that route. The neck dimensions are identical and it fits in the pocket perfectly.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386550821.300537.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386550840.109417.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386550855.423510.jpg

The holes on the body are countersunk and I'll need to get shorter screws or nip their ends or they will pop up through the fingerboard. Bad

The quadralock system is a hex head bolt that threads into metal inserts in the neck. And I'm not going to try and find replacements for those. Unless anyone has any ideas. And I don't have a drill Press to make precise holes for the anchors anyway. Is that a better attachment system? There are plenty available if it's worth it.

2. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

thanks for whoever moved the topic...... I'd really appreciate any advice on moving forward with this. Find shorter wood screws or get a new set of bolts/inserts and mount the inserts in the neck.

The new holes will be about 2-3 cm away from the original holes. Do I need to fill the old ones for strength?

Would you
    a) buy shorter wood screws, drill pilot holes and mount the neck that way.. screwing through the existing holes in the body and not using the plate.. the linings in the body should be strong enough.

b) get a new set of bolts and inserts. Mount the inserts in the neck and bolt like the quadaralock.

The screws seem easier to me.

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Definitely option b for me.

Superior way of a BO attachment, especially if You want to switch necks from time to time.

Just the other week I bought a set of inserts for my only BO in "active" duty ATM, but haven't installed them yet.

The Ibanez inserts and bolts are most likely metric, if You can't find any, imperial will do just as nicely.

Regards
    Sam

4. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

OK I'll go that way... It feels like a better way to go. I'll store the old neck with the bolts attached and order a new set of bolt/inserts.

Talked to a friend with a drill press and we'll use that to get the holes drilled for the inserts that way as straight as possible. Looks like you just drill the hole and screw in the inserts.. maybe with a little glue on the threads.. once set, bolt the neck to the body. It will be simple to mark the holes. The neck is a nice tight no-wobble fit.. just mark with a pen/marker where the holes are.

Unless someone explains that I have misunderstood what to do, I'll get it done soon.

Thanks ( sigh.. the wood screws would be easier... :) )

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

^^ is a great option.

why don't you try the wood screw option? fill the existing holes in the neck with a dowel. mark and drill new pilot holes in the new neck. mount it with wood screws. if you are satisfied, you can drill the new neck for inserts. assuming the wood screw threads will fit through the body, you could use the countersunk inserts or the neck plate with your wood screws (cut to the correct length).

granted the threaded inserts will allow you to only need one pair of screws to mount the two necks.

it's really your call.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

If the wood screws fit thru the existing body holes and you use the plate, the screws may be the right length.
    And if the new holes are far enough from the old ones in the neck, they wouldn't have to be filled.
    If you choose to go the insert route, be sure the new screws will fit thru the existing body holes, first.

8. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

I couldn't wait to order the inserts etc. I bought wood screws that are the right length after counter sinking into the old bolt holes. 1.5" rather than 1.75". Clamped the neck to hold in place. Drilled pilot holes and then screwed the new/old neck on. It's a great tight no slip fit. It's strung up and now I'm going to wait a day before making any neck adjustments. Give it time to have the relief set in. It's already playable from but to 7th fret and above 12th. So it may TR relief. I live it so far

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387141176.668587.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387141217.694695.jpg

9. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

10. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

OK, tweaked the bridge height slightly and the new neck has mwaah buzz like crazy.. it's just beautiful Chokes a little too much on the a string 7th fret. But that's about it.. Still expecting a smidge more relief overnight. I'm falling in love with this neck already.

I'll be bringing the twins to practice tomorrow. This old body with the fretles neck has gone from being the bass I leave at the rehearsal hall in case it gets stolen... to possibly one of my favorite basses. Man, I love the look of an unlined maple fretless. This is so cool.. LOL

11. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Plugged it in and it sounds amazing. Got the neck for $120. I think it was totally worth it. Can't wait to start playing this bass at practice and live.

12. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Nice work! With that maple hardwood neck you can use roundwounds if you'd like ...

13. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Yeah. I'm a round wound guy when playing Fretless. Just love the tone.

Band practices once a week, we gig once a month and I play a bit every day or two. I'm not too worried about wearing out the fingerboard. Is has slight wear already down the A and D strings. No wood removed. Just finish worn through and a little grunge/discoloring. Makes it look nice and used.

If the neck starts shifting I'll do the extra work and get the bolts and threaded inserts. Crossing my fingers that it will hold as is.