Replacement Neck for Mexican Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mikey Boom Boom, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Mikey Boom Boom

Mikey Boom Boom

Hello,

I'm having a difficult time pulling the trigger on a new neck for my Fender Jazz Bass MIM. In the sea or aftermarket necks and manufacturers, I cannot be positive that the neck I'm buying will fit the Mexican Jazz Bass. I'm just looking to swap out the stock neck with a new fretless one.

I'm not an expert on the subject and the difference in measurements is pretty slight. I am hoping someone has swapped out necks successfully and can confirm that Warmoth or WD or whoever makes a neck that fits.

Thanks.

Mike

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

standard fender-spec necks will all fit. (they'll also all need to be drilled, maybe leveled, the nut made or shaped, etc., so there's gonna be tech work involved, you don't just take it out of the box then put strings on it.)

from there it's just a matter of quality; get warmoth or USACG if you want an actual improvement.

3. 137h4lone

137h4lone

Fender is now offering necks and bodies. I'd look there first.

4. soflbass

soflbass

Fender link http://www.fender.com/store/necks-bodies/
    Mexi necks run $199.

Warmouth http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Bass=1&Body=1&Shape=38&Path=JBass
    Expect to pay between $180 and $250.

Mighty mite necks are lower quality than those above, but you can find them from musicians friend, guitar center, eBay for around $100 to $125. I've purchased a mighty mite replacement and the quality was quite good, though I've heard some bad experiences from others.

All of these are designed to fit fender neck pockets, some may need minor adjustment to fit right.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

I have put Warmoth necks on MIM bodies...they fit fine and even the bolt holes line up perfectly.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I traded for what I was told was a new mighty mite j bass replacement neck and the heel was too wide to fit either of the MIM j bodies I tried it on. The headstock made it obvious it was intended for a fender, but the heel said otherwise. In addition to the fit issue, it also needed to be drilled and came without a nut so even if the heel had been correct it still needed a professional touch to be useable.

That said, it's possible I was zoomed on the deal, or the guy I got the neck from got it from someone who zoomed him.

Either way, unless you are dealing with a full on reseller with some sort of sane return policy, beware those saying their offering will be a drop in fit.

8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Mighty Mite necks have the logo stamped (branded?) on the heel.

[​IMG]

9. soflbass

soflbass

I purchased a mighty mite jazz neck from Musicians Friend about a year ago. It came complete with a nut installed and filed. It dropped right into the neck pocket of a 2006 MIM p bass body without any mods. They come undrilled. The nut on mine did not need adjustment. Overall I'd say I was satisfied with that purchase. I paid $85 on a sale with coupon.

Would a warmouth neck have been of better quality....probably. Had fender been producing necks at that time, I probably would have gone that route.

10. fhm555

I only got jabbed for $20 on my pseudo mighty mite and wound up trading it to a guy for a new set of strings so I guess it all worked out OK.

Oh and yes he knew about the heel being too big. He said no prob, he had some kind of imported Fender knockoff P bass body he needed a neck for and he'd make it work.

I never asked him how it came out but he still speaks to me (without cussing) when we run into each other so I'm assuming he's satisfied.

11. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

no such thing as the heel being too big, sand the pocket out gradually and you'll get a nice snug fit.

12. fhm555

A little cleanup with sandpaper to get a slightly oversize heel to fit would be a no brainer. Taking out about .125" per side with sandpaper while also insuring the pocket stays centered on the bridge might be a bit more sketchy and time consuming. And then there's the oversize pocket which is now worthless for a neck with a standard Fender heel.

Oh wait, just wrap the standard neck heel in foil, grease that puppy and bolt it up, then pour in a glop of epoxy to fill the gaps. Once it cures, break it down, pull the foil and you are golden. :rolleyes:

13. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

I would go with the MIM neck that Fender is now selling. I'd be willing to bet that it would fit with no problems. It also has the advantage of having the Fender logo on it.

14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

My Mighty Mite Jazz neck fits into my 96 MIM P, my 96 MIM Jazz and my 2005 HWY 1 P, as well as some random Squier P I picked up along the way.

It's a good neck. I like it.

If budget is a concern, I would not hesitate to recommend that you go this route.

Or, for the same money as a Warmoth, you can get a fully loaded neck with inserts here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f129/fender-jazz-neck-mim-maple-board-loaded-1002770/

15. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I have the pages for Warmoth and USACG's screamin' deals and web specials in my bookmarks. I got a pretty killer birdseye Jazz neck from Warmoth for about the same price as a Mighty Mite.

I also have a birdseye Strat neck from MM, and it was a great little neck right out of the box. Not perfect, but I was in a hurry to have something to play, and I never bothered to take it back apart and do a proper fret job on it.

16. Grebnaws

Grebnaws

The Mighty Mite jazz neck was a direct replacement for my MIM Fender jazz body. I ordered a fretted maple version and used Tru Oil to finish. The neck is good (nothing fancy and very basic) but the fret work is fine and it's very functional. It has been stable so far and I have never needed to adjust the truss rod since the first set up. You will still have some work to do with a Mighty Mite do but it's probably the cheapest way to get a new neck. My experience with Tru Oil wasn't great but it seems to work well for others.