1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Replacement neck for old Ibanez Lawsuit Jazz Bass copy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 2meterbassman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Hi folks,

there are still some parts of my first bass in my basement.
    My first bass was an Ibanez Jazz Bass copy of 1978.
    I changed the pickups to Di Marzios, they fitted perfectly.
    I mounted a Badass bridge on it - I had to dig a bit out of the body to install it

But then I didn't stop modifying it - so it happened, that there are no other parts left.

Only the body, the Di Marzios (from 1979 I think) and the Badass bridge is in here.
    Now I think about installing a replacement fretless neck on it, to make a kind of Jaco style bass out of it.

My question: does someone have experiences with installing an original Fender size neck on one of those old Ibanez lawsuit bodies? Will it fit?

Originally, it was a bass like this:
    http://www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=ht...ds/2012/05/ibanez-Jazzbass01.jpg#.UP8yRGeOfwA

Called "Ibanez Silver Series" 2365b, year 1978.

Thx for your help

2. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

I installed an Ibanez Silver Series p bass neck on a Fender body. It was a bit too narrow. I had to shim it. This would mean a Fender neck would be too wide on an Ibanez body. Hope this helps.

3. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Thx pal,
    so - was it about 1 mm or more?
    If it's only a little bit, I could take away some wood from the body...

Thx & Greetz from germany

4. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Between 1 and 2mm I'd guess. Good luck with the project. Let us know how it turns out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

I found a fretless neck in Fender size for a good price.
    A friend of mine is a carpenter, he has all the machines I need and allowes me to use it.
    But first of all I have to strip the body from all those colour tries of the last 35 years...;-)

I think, dark winered with visible grain and clearcoat will be a nice combination with the maple/rosewood neck.

I wll post pictures, when it's all done.

Thx again, mate!