Replacement neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by journeyman77, Dec 29, 2013.

1. journeyman77

journeyman77

Hi all, as you might have seen in another post here, i own a Fender American Vintage 75 jazz RI which ended with a broken neck...

i am a search to replace the neck but i stumbled upon various options which may fit.

Facts:
    1- broken neck, unrepairable (my bad)
    2- body: 3-bolt with micro-tilt system
    3- Fender informed me that the 75 RI series is not in production at the moment...

Inquiries:
    1- can i use a Marcus Miller neck?
    2- can i get a Warmoth neck (they make only 4 bolts)
    2.1- must i convert the 3-bolts body to a 4-bolt to accomodate the Warmoth?
    3- can i use any Fender like neck?
    4- what other brands that makes (good) replacement necks you might propose?
    5- what other solution you might see fit?

thanks in advance,

Journeyman

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I think you could use any neck you want. It might be tough finding a 3 bolt neck to use as a replacement. If that is the way you'd like to go, I' suggest calling Warmoth. they make good quality necks! Maybe they'll drill it for the 3 bolt plate for you. Or you could easily do it yourself. USA Guitars, Mighty Mite, Allparts and Fender all make replacement necks. You have some options. Sorry about your broken neck...good luck.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

No, the 3-bolt Japan necks don't have the same bolt pattern (neck tilt) as the US 75RI. I had both.

As long as the neck fits the pocket you can re-drill any neck. The trick there is usually the neck fitting the pocket, as there will be variances if you're trying to fit a neck made in one country on a body made in another country. You can also guarantee you will have to plug the original screw holes on a mismatched neck and re-drill anyway since they won't line up on your 3-bolt body.

Best bet is just watch ebay, necks come up for sale all the time. Email ebay seller The Stratosphere, he parts out brand new Fenders.

4. pfox14

pfox14

How do you break a bass neck? Just curious.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Just a note on the idea of a Warmoth replacement neck; you can purchase one from them without any pre-drilled bolt holes and then have a tech/luthier do the required drilling and fitting for the three bolt/micro tilt.

7. inate_hex

inate_hex

I got a mighty mite neck for my 62 avri p bass. It is fantastic.

8. journeyman77

journeyman77

it's very easy since i handed it to a -so called- expert in my region...
    dialog was:

-Hi i got a truss rod problem, the fingerboard got raised in 1st fret while i set it up.
    -Truss rod problem?ok, we have to remove and replace the fingerboard...
    -ok do it...

pics will follow...

9. journeyman77

journeyman77

10. journeyman77

journeyman77

11. journeyman77

journeyman77

12. journeyman77

journeyman77

i admit that half of the destruction is mine, upon acceptance of his proposal...

13. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

As was mentioned you could just order a Warmoth neck un-drilled. It would be a very simple procedure to mark and drill for the three bolt pattern.

I just got one to replace the S-curved neck on my 62RI Jazz and the quality is ridiculously good.

14. journeyman77

journeyman77

please tell me, because of the so called Vintage series, do i have to mention the exact specs (ie distance between tuner holes)?

15. journeyman77

journeyman77

also Warmoth makes necks with the truss rod in the nut?

16. journeyman77

journeyman77

17. pfox14

pfox14

WOW I have never seen that happen to a bass neck. Too bad.

18. Immigrant

Immigrant

Although the radius difference seems like a lot, it's really not. You may like a flatter board. My favorite bass's neck has a 20" radius and it spoiled me. I'll never enjoy any neck below 14" radius as much as this one.

FWIW, Mighty Mites are really good for the money and are undrilled in case the one you want falls through.

19. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

The distance between the tuner holes shouldn't change otherwise the strings would be out of line coming from the tuners.

One thing I found is that the stock 17.5mm holes Warmoth specs are too small for Fenders "vintage" tuners. I always found the tuners crappy feeling anyway and replaced them with Grover vintage style. Way nicer but still a tight fit. Had to gently press them in with a c-clamp. Should have just ordered the Gotohs warmoth sells.

Also, they only do the truss adjuster at the heel so it won't look exactly like a 70's neck. You'd be better of with allparts or mighty mite for that.

The neck I received from Warmoth had basically perfect fretwork. The only thing I had to tweak was the E string slot on the nut. I totally get why they would leave it a touch high though as every bass is different and cutting it too low would be a disaster. It was darn close though and I'm talking fractions of a mm to bring it down to perfection.

20. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

*** Except! that the US 75RI neck uses two wood screws and one machine screw. So that neck needs to have a female machine thread insert in the neck for that lower bolt.
    So I still suggest finding a take off US 75RI neck. Seeing what happened to the original neck, I wouldn't trust the local tech installing that threaded insert on a Warmoth. Also, that center located 3rd neck bolt will not work with any neck that adjusts at the butt, the truss rod will be in the way, you'll run into it with the drill.

21. journeyman77

journeyman77

So it might be a good idea to get a neck with the truss rod installed at the nut. I just checked about the 3 bolt system and i guess it will not be a huge problem to install it to the neck.
    The idea to wait for a suitable AVRI 75 neck to come, might take a long time and i am afraid i dont have that much...