1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Replacement nut for a Bronco

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ejaggers, Sep 17, 2013.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

I'm looking for a replacement nut for a Bronco. My P has a custom made nut so I don't think I can count on it for measurements. So can I use a pre-slotted P or J nut, or does it have to be blank and slotted to fit the Bronco?

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Save yourself the aggravation, and have a nut made from a blank.
  3. redzebra6

redzebra6

If you are in a bit of a bind, use a Jazz bass nut. It will slightly smaller than the original but will do in a pinch. I had this happen to both my Bronco and Vista Musicmaster.

My musicmaster is my main, so I had that replaced as soon as possible, while the Bronco is the one I kick around and still have the J bass nut on. My fingers can't tell the difference.
  4. onefallinghope

onefallinghope

This is an opportunity to learn a new skill!!

Get a couple of blanks and a set of files. Cutting a nut is not very difficult at all.

Cutting one properly takes a little practice, that's why I suggest getting a few blanks.
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, it's likely not gonna be one of the standard pre-slotted replacement sizes; might be time to get a nice bone one made from scratch.
  6. ejaggers

Thanks for your advice JLS, redzebra6, and walterw
  7. onefallinghope

onefallinghope

Gotcha... I'm just some big dumb jerk who didn't offer any valid info. :)

Dig it.
  8. ejaggers

Boy are you sensitive!!! It’s not that your info wasn’t valid; it’s that you didn’t address the question. The Q was, "can I use a pre-slotted P or J nut?", not who should make it.

Besides, I did have one made from a blank, so everyone, including you should be happy because the Problem is Solved!!!
  9. onefallinghope

onefallinghope

Glad you got it sorted!! :)