Replacement pickups for Lakland 44-02 or 44-94

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VifferMike, Sep 11, 2013.

1. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger Supporting Member

Yes, this question's been asked before. But because we can't use "44-02" or "44-94" in search and because I've only read/found accounts of two aftermarket pickups (Nordstrand and SGD) being installed in a 44-02/44-94, I'm asking in a new thread:

- What have owners put in their four-string MM/J Laklands to replace either the stock Barts or Lakland/Hansons?
    - Are traditional MM and J pickup shapes a drop-in swap?(appears that way since one 44-94 owner runs a Nordstrand MM4.4 and an NJ4SV)
    - Why did you do it? What's the difference? Do they play nice with the LH3 preamp?

I have a Lakland pickup-equipped 44-02 on the way (maple board) and I've owned one before (rosewood board), and I'm wanting it to have a more heavy bottom and hi-fi-sounding mid and top -- like a cross between a Spector and a Stingray. From what I've read, the Lakland/Hanson pickups won't quite get me there. I'm VERY tempted to stick EMGs in it, but I'd really like to know if anyone else has done it, and consider every option before committing to anything ...

Thanks ... show me/tell me what you've done!
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

I'm probably the one you saw with SGD pickups in my 44-02. Neo MM in the bridge and Jazzbucker in the neck. These will deliver what you're looking for. They play fine with the LH-3 preamp, but EMG's will not.

The Lakland pickups sounded okay, but the problem is that they are split coil and the coils are split directly under the A string..at least on mine. This made for a dead A string and probably the reason I got such a deal on this bass. SGD's totally transformed this bass.

I'm not a big fan of the sterile sound of EMGs, and they don't play nice with dirt pedals. I've replaced the EMG's in both of my Spectors (one with DiMarzio Area J's, one with Bartolini MM) with great results. But if it wasn't for the wait I would have gotten SGD's for those too. SGD Neo's have the clarity of EMG's but with more depth and of course they are passive so they work fine with pedals.

Along with SGD and Nordstrand, these folks make drop in replacements for the 44-02/44-94:
    Bartolini
    Delano
    Seymour Duncan
    Lace Sensor (I'd love to try a set of these!)
  3. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger Supporting Member

Yep, mmbongo: You're the SGD dude. :D Not sure I want to go that boutique (I'm hoping to keep pickup cost to $200 or so for a set), so the Nordstrands and Delanos really intrigue me. I had a prototype Skjold with a single Delano MM a number of years ago, and that thing was a freaking monster; I almost kept that bass despite it only having one pickup (it's the only single-pickup bass I've ever owned).

Bummer re: the EMGs. Sounds like I'd have to swap out the preamp, too ... not gonna do that. :)
  4. mmbongo

That's the cost of a set of SGD Neo's if you get the Jazzbucker. In general, they're cheaper than Delano or Nordstrand for similar configurations. You can get a regular single coil pickup from SGD (like you'd get from Nord or Delano) instead of the Jazzbucker which will make it even cheaper...about $180 for a set. I'd get the Jazzbucker though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. socialleper

socialleper

I'm also thinking about replacing the Barts in my 44-02 DLX and am open to suggestions.
    What I like about the bass is the tonal flexibility the pickup arrangement gives me. There's a P bass sound, MM bass sound, a little Jazz bass, even a touch of a Wal if you slap some overdrive on it.
    What I don't like is the high-mids focus of the bass. I'd like a tad more sparkle on the highs and more growl out of the lows. I also think its odd that if I switch to passive mode on the pass I lose 30%-40% of my volume. My Warwick doesn't do that.

Thoughts?
  7. mmbongo

You can adjust the output trim pot on the preamp. Turn it down to where the preamps output matches the output with the preamp bypassed.

And again..SGD pickups will get you what you are looking for.
  8. socialleper

socialleper

How did you find out about the SGD pickups? Those don't seem to be as popular as some of the other boutique pickups as Delano or Nordstrand. Although they do seem to be cheaper.
  9. mmbongo

Recommendations mainly from TB users is how I found SGD, plus David is very active in this forum. He's a one man operation so I wouldn't really consider him the same as Nordstrand or Delano.

I really liked the sound of the pickups in the Music Man Bongo that I had, which are Neo magnet, so when I saw David's Neo pickups I got a set and loved them. I recently ordered another set...my 3rd.