Replacement pickups for old Epiphone bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GretschWretch, Feb 25, 2014.

1. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

I've got a really old Epiphone Embassy Deluxe that needs pickups. Most of what I've seen available either won't fit or has the wrong look or sound. I know that Thunderbirds and Deluxes use(d) the same pickups, and I know there are many makers of aftermarket T-bird pickups. But my understanding is that over the decades the specs for T-bird pickups have changed, and I need original issue spec. Does anybody know a contemporary maker who does these? For a date, I'm thinking 1965 or earlier.

Thanks.

2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I'm not clear what you mean by "I need original issue spec". If you are going to be playing the bass yourself, the main specs would be a) do they fit, and then b) do they sound like I want them to. How do you know the ones you have seen available will have the wrong sound? How do you know what the original ones even sounded like?

If you are trying to restore the bass to resell it, then I'm not convinced there is an answer, short of finding a wrecked bass of the same year with pickups to swap over. I don't think even Gibson kept records of their pickup specs

3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

4. SteveV74

SteveV74

Try Allparts.com

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

The Thunderbird Ranch page lists pickups with different specs; that is what I was referring to by "issue." As to how they sound, my only reference points would be YouTube videos or vendor sound clips, and so far I really have not been wowed by what I have heard; but no router will get anywhere near this bass. The pickups on the Epi bolt-neck T-bird might fit and I like the sound okay, but the look would be totally wrong.

This bass is one of my "Grail basses" -- didn't think I'd ever find one I could afford -- so it's a keeper.

7. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I understand, I would not route that bass out either!

Maybe the Thunderbucker Ranch folks would let you try some different pickups to see if they fit, and how they sound. Too bad they're in Oregon and you're in Alabama...hey ROAD TRIP! :)

Seriously, though, maybe measure your bass and pass those measurements to them so they can see what would fit, first? Then try the ones that fit for sound.

8. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Boy you don't see many of those around town. Cool & unique. But those are unique size pickups too. Maybe consider either custom shop or rewind those to whatever spec you want.