1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Replacement pickups for Squier VM 77

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nicopiano, Dec 12, 2012.

1. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

I own a Squier VM and I'm not crazy about the pickups sound.

I'm looking for a pair of replacement pickups for 200$ or less.

I tried DiMarzio J on a previous bass but didn't like the lack of clarity. I like to cut in the mix.

Maybe EMG? There is so many models...

I just don't want hi-fi modern sound, nor purist vintage. Something in between.

Thank you for your suggestions.
  2. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

My bet is you can achieve what you want with strings. Maybe try Rotosound swing bass stainless steels. Gnarly.
  3. nicopiano

That's a good idea. There is old daddario strings on it right now and it's not my thing. (Used bass)

So far, my favorite strings are DR hi-beam, but I'm curious about roto swing.
  4. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

I have a VM 70's and I absolutely love the pickups. On previous Jazz Basses I have tried over 10 different sets of pickups and I think those are are perfect balance of punch/growl/clarity.
    As it was suggested, start by replacing the strings (I like the DR HiBeams personally but on my VM I currently have some Slinkies)
    If you really want the funk, a Badass II bridge will make a huge difference in the tone. Especially if you want to slap.
    I have found out too that it is a good idea to first try your bass with a different rig if you are not happy with the sound. IMO Those VM's sound really good.
  5. nicopiano

New strings... Then I'll let you know. Thank you! :)
  6. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

Also on mine when I got it the neck pickup required to be lowered. I screwed in with a ful 360 degree on each screw. It sounded much better. You may want to give it a try.
  7. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Cut more? Man, you may want to buy a Japanese blade instead if you want to cut more. I wish the pickups in my VM Jazz would *calm down* a little - they are proving to be quite hot and bright for my liking, I almost always run the tone knob down a fair amount, often completely rolled off.

Did changing the strings work out?
  8. nicopiano

Yes, now it's a great bass!!!
  9. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

That's what I figured. More often than not, just changing the strings and doing a setup, which would include adjusting pickup height, is more than enough to vastly improve the sound. New pickups are not always the answer.