1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

replacement precision pup decision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RS, Dec 27, 2013.

1. RS

RS Supporting Member

Thinking strongly about dropping a new pup in my trusty P bass. My first requirement is that the pole pieces are flush with the top of the cover. After that, one that sounbds fairly balanced - something that sounds on the vintage side but will not change the fundamental sound of the bass. Lastly, it must be a drop in replacement/standard sized pup. My short list is-

1. Fender Original 62 - (I am a fan of fender reissues basses)
    2. Bill Lawrence P-46 - (seem to get a lot of run here)
    3. Nordy NP4 - (love the nj4s for jazz but never played a bass with their p-pup)
    4. SD spb-1s - (well regarded, easy to find, inexpensive)

Thoughts? Thanks.
  2. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

On your list, I like the Fender Originals best. I cannot deal with the aesthetics of the Bill Lawrence extra pole's. I have read the NP4's sound "modern". I have a set of NJ4SE's that are very nice though. The SPB-1 get's great reviews here and I may use a set myself on my next project to check them out and, as you noted, they are very affordable.
    I would add to your list the Aguilar 4P-60's. The basses I play the most, unless they have their original pups, are using these.
  3. ROBM700

ROBM700

I have had, and have heard, nothing but good things regarding SD's.
  4. RS

RS Supporting Member

I was also curious about the aguilars as I do play thru an all Aggie rig. How would you compare them vs Fender pups?
  5. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

The aggy's may be a bit more mid and low happy. I seem to run the tone more fully open (close to ten) with them and I like that. I do not like to roll the tone off on my P's as I think they sound muddy.
    I have never A-B'd the Fender Originals and Aggy's in the same bass but I have several basses with both. I have Aggy's in ash and alder bodies with maple and rosewood boards and the tone has been consistent in all those basses.
    I have far more basses with the Fender Originals because I used to buy them whenever I saw a deal and I built a ton-o-basses from parts using them.
    I am really looking forward to trying the Duncans though. JohnK recommended them to me and that's what I'll be trying in the next bass. If I do not like them, I will start shopping for a good deal on the aggy's.
  6. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I've used the SDs on two basses (one P) and am very happy with them.
  7. B String

B String Supporting Member

The pole pieces aren't really a factor. I put a strip of electrical tape over the poles under the covers. I like how it looks and it restricts the poles from being a problem. I have a number of friends who do this. Especially good if you like to have your pickups high.
  8. DanGouge

DanGouge

Very very happy with my P46s, have not tried the Seymour Duncan SPB-1s but I do generally like SD and their customer service is absolutely top notch IME. The weird pole piece configuration on the P46s doesn't bother me as I generally don't look at my pickups whilst playing.
  9. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    You have picked some of the favorites, I got recommended all of them by fellow TB people.

While I have no personal experience with any of them, I know a guy (with references!) who is good for installs and quite local to your area ;)
    But I'd definitely like to hear how it sounds, either way.