1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replacement speaker for 1x15 / 350w Hartke setup?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassCajon, Feb 24, 2013.

1. BassCajon

BassCajon

Running a Hartke VX115 into a Hartke 3500 head.
    The speaker is pretty much blown. What would be a good replacement 8 ohm 15 that will take more of the power that the 3500 has to offer?
    I was thinking a 400W Eminence Delta 15A as I have experience with this one going into an SWR combo... but would it be beneficial to even go with a 500W speaker with the 3500?
    Might you guys have any other recommendations?
    Doesn't have to be superlight, just trying to keep the price low. Under $100.
    The application will mostly be top 40 music.
    Thanks!

2. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

At 8ohms your head isn't pushing 350 watts. Get a 4 ohm speaker and get the most out of that head. I had a Hartke XL115 that blew. Replaced it with a Black Widow and it sounded good with the 3500

3. BassCajon

BassCajon

Yes, ok.
    So, a 400W 4 ohm speaker would be louder and more efficient.. and it'll drop in just fine? with no other modifying? Looking to just buy a new speaker that will provide as much of an upgrade as possible with this head.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I personally would recommend against limiting your self to one 15" by getting a 4 ohm speaker. You already blew one at 8 ohms, the 4 ohm will not be all that much louder before it goes.
    Next trouble is getting a speaker that will like the cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCajon

BassCajon

But it's the stock hartke speaker.. Not very powerful.
    I just want to buy a speaker, install it and have a better sounding rig.
    I have done it before but was running a less powerful amplifier.

7. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

Good point here. I was simply thinking if he is sticking to one cab, may as well go 4ohms. But you're right. One speaker can only get so loud.

8. BassCajon

BassCajon

The amp probably wont reach higher than 2-250W for most medium sized gigs, I just want the head to be able to breathe through the speaker better and more freely with "headroom" if that makes any sense. The cab is ported and it is what it is and i'm sure it'll sound great/loud enough with a more powerful eminence.
    I can add another cabinet in the future if I want to which is why I still might go with an 8 ohm speaker.
    Sorry if this all seems like i'm looking for the easy way out but as I said, I have done this before to my SWR combo with great results.

9. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

It is surprising that 15 blew because the 3500 is rated at 200W into 8 ohms and the cabinet is rated for 300W.

These two sites have lots of replacement speakers : http://www.usspeaker.com/ and http://www.speakerhardware.com/

If you do get a second cabinet it should also be 8 ohms because the 3500 is rated at 350W into 4 ohms and that is its minimum impedence. You can find lots of used, low-priced cabinets at Guitar Center on-line including Hartke 1x15 boxes.

10. BassCajon

BassCajon

Hey I appreciate the help. I will research those pages. Thanks.
    I understand matching ohm ratings. Get an 8ohm speaker now so I can power 2 cabs in the future.
    Not really looking to haul 2 cabs if I can avoid it.

It's not that the speaker completely blew, it just needs replacing/an upgrade. It sounds like crap. Real thin and flubby. Like the speaker has just had it.
    So, any recommendations for a good replacement speaker and not another cabinet?

11. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

The Emminence Delta 15LFA or Beta 15A appear to be good candidates, as long as the cabinet is appropriate for them and I am not certain of that. They are both low price options and you can spend a lot more money on a speaker if you want to.

12. BassCajon

BassCajon

Yeah thanks. I'm leaning toward the Delta 15A or LFA (which seems to be a step up in power over the Beta) but also eyeing the Kappa 15C which is 450W @ 4 ohms for a bit more coin.
    That would sound huge.
    4 ohms! aw man.

13. BassCajon

BassCajon

Decided to go with the 8ohm Delta 15LFA.
    I'll post my findings after It's installed.
    Thanks for all the help.

14. mystic38

mystic38

good intentions... but you are skating on thin ice..

A drive unit is designed to match the specific cabinet volume that it is put into... you really [DEL]cannot [/DEL]should not just pull out one driver and install another and expect good results.

15. BassCajon

BassCajon

Interesting.
    I figured thIs cabinet would be a good match with the upgraded speaker.
    Its rear ported whIch I hear Is tunable.
    Isn't it true that most mid value range stock speakers by Hartke/Samson and the lIke are underrated In power to cut costs and to make you have to replace the speaker sooner etc.?
    I put a delta 15a in my pre-fender swr workingmans 15 with amazing results.
    though the amp runs a bit hot buts that's what I want, esp out of the 3500 in 8 ohms.
    Sorry if I'm coming off as hard headed or anything.
    But tell me what I'm not getting.