Replacement speakers for an EA NL210 cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lotusland9663, Jan 3, 2013.

1. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

I have a first generation EA NL210 cab that was fried by a faulty amp. EA offers a generation 3 replacement kit but it costs $600.

Any suggestions for 2x10's that would be affordable and retain the current specs? 500 watts RMS, 8 OHM, neo (optional).

Thanks in advance for your help TB
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    4 or 16ohm off-the-shelf 10's (needed for an 8ohm 210) really aren't all that common. Check perhaps Celestion or Faital? Eminence has a 4ohm bp102 but that is a very deeply voiced driver with lower spl and not much upper mids. $600 from EA is pretty spendy, I'd continue looking.
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Had one of those and the drivers blew out on mine also (and I am very careful). Great sounding but very problematic model unfortunately.

If you can find a used Bergantino AE210 (especially the later vertical model), you would most likely be very happy. Neo, so lightweight, and similar bright voicing with nice low end capability.

Also, a single Genz Benz Neox112 would also give you similar output and a similar punchy, bright tone.

Finally, the Baer ML112 would also appeal to those who dig the NL210... again, loud, tight down low but can handle some bass EQ, and a very present upper midrange.

These 112's are voiced so that the 210 guys should dig them pretty well. Unfortunately, none are priced at the low end.

Edit: Sorry, misread and thought you were looking for a replacement cab. The NL210 is a pretty unusual design with that tuba-like porting, and EA's OEM drivers were pretty goosed (of course, they blew up too!). Not sure about a driver that would sound anything the same in that transmission line design.
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Ah....didn't know it was a TL cab. Various drivers can work in those designs, but I'm not familiar with the voicing of this cab or what tone you're after. If it is a very bright sounding driver, that could be an indication of a lesser excursion capability in the bass (trading a bit of one for more of the other). The transmission line may be helping to get deeper response out of what would otherwise be not that bassy a driver.

Does that make sense with it's overall voicing?

TL's are cool cabs, but, I don't have all that much experience with the finer points of their design. The chamber size and line length determine their low end response and LF power handling capability but it doesn't work the same as a ported cab.
  5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Way over my head regarding matching drivers to that design.

I can say that the drivers seemed to have BIG xmax (i.e., lots of pistoning), but yet their was a lot of midrange response. I have a feeling the high number of reports of driver failures had something to do with asking too much of those drivers down low.

NICE sounding box though... big low end for its size, nice mid definition, and a very crisp top end (seemed like a relatively low crossover point with quite a bit of lower treble coming out of the tweeter.
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Bit over my head as well as far as telling someone to spend their money on replacements.