1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replacement speakers for my 4x8

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Motor72, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Motor72

Motor72

I have an Overton Featherweight 48 combo that needs help. The cabinet has at least two blown speakers that I would like to replace. Per Overton's website, the combo is 500 Watts at 4 Ohms. Does that mean that I need to buy speakers rated at 4 ohms?

I was looking at some eminence 8 ohm speakers, for example the Delta Pro 8A and 8B. Would there be issues with having two 8 ohm and two 4 ohms speakers in the same cabinet?

Speaker suggestions would be great, thanks.

2. Cirk

Cirk

Mixing impedances like that would be a bad move. The 4 ohm drivers would get twice as much power than the 8 ohm drivers. See Ohm's Law. Your 4 ohm drivers would probably blow in short order by doing this. Your best bet is to find out what drivers are in there now and get exact replacements. If they're not available, our friendly neighborhood gurus can help you choose the right driver for that cab.

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Why not email the company that made the cab and tell them you've got some blown speakers?

4. Motor72

Motor72

I contacted Overton first and they replied that the speakers are not available. The "Tech Support" sent me a link for a 8", 8 ohm speaker but said to make sure I find a speaker with the 4 ohm rating.

I have had a difficult time finding and 8" speakers with a 4 ohm rating. As such, I'm considering having the cones rebuilt at a local shop.

Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Flatbass

Flatbass

Technically, they could also be all 1 ohm speakers (series) or all 16 ohm speakers (parallel).

It's best to go for something that is the most similar to whatever was originally in there.

7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Could You share that link?
    Could make choosing a replacement easier.

Like said earlier, mixing 4Ohm and 8Ohm speakers is not ok.

Using 4 8Ohm speakers however would ease the amps task considerably, and while the RCL network may be optimised for 4Ohm nominal load, 8 ohm should not matter.

Choosing the replacement drivers require the internal dimensions of the box, and the dimensions of the ports, if any.

Regards
    Sam

8. iunno

iunno

Do not use 4Ohm, or 8Ohm drivers, 4x4= 1 4x8 = 2. They're probably 16Ohm drivers, but you would also want the ones that the cabinet was designed for, otherwise it may not sound too good.

9. Motor72

Motor72

10. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Does the amp have a connector for an external cab? If it does, you need to know what the minimum ohm rating is stated for the ext connector. It could very well be that without an ext cab, the amp runs at a different load than 4Ω, and you need 4Ω replacements wired in series inside your amp.

11. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Good Lord what a vague reply from the manufacturer.
    I have never before heard of that company and if their general CS is in that level, I probably won't hear about them again either.

The enclosure dimensions is the next thing I suggest You to take.

You can't be serious with that kind of a statement.

That's only one way to connect 4 loads, in Your case all parallel.
    There's others as well ;).

Good call, didn't think of that because of the ongoing trend to exclude the external speaker option from combo amps.

Regards
    Sam

12. Cirk

Cirk

I have to wonder if your contact at tech support was in over their head about this issue. Sadly, there are people who wouldn't know what a woofer was even if it got stuck in their tweeter.
    What most of us consider basics here is considered arcane by the general public. This is why you often get that "deer in the headlights" look when you get technical with a sales droid at a big box store.

13. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

I wonder if putting 8 ohm speakers would allow for a better safety margin so as to STOP blowing speakers... allow the amp to run at 8 ohms and push less power, and perhaps adding an ext speaker out would be helpful.

Of course change all 4, and make sure the speakers are correctly suited for the box.

14. Motor72

Motor72

Would an 8" Eminence Delta Pro be a good choice? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks

15. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

I poked around on google to try to find out if the enclosure for those is ported or sealed, Man, there is just not much info, no way of knowing if the Delta Pro would be a good choice or not without basic info like internal cubic ft, ports and IF, what their sizes are...

If it's not ported, or maybe even if it is, I'd be tempted to try some of these

http://usspeaker.com/faital%20pro%208fe200-1.htm

You could use the 4Ω version in parallel series pairs. they might not be ideal, but at least they're relatively cheap.

One more thought - with the tech support as brain dead as they appear to be, you might want to try to post a pick of the back of one of the speakers you have now, someone might recognize it as a pretty common off the shelf speaker you could determine whether you could re-cone them or replace them.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Chances are that if 2 drivers are blown, the other 2 are also close to being blown.
    It may not be worth it to throw in too good of drivers since the manufacturer didn't in the first place.

If you want to cut your losses - these are not too bad.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2950-/55-2950
    And as mentioned above wire for 8 ohms

Use Winisd to figure out the best porting if your cab is already ported.

17. Cirk

Cirk

Can you measure the internal dimensions of the cab? What are the dimensions of the ports, and how many are there? Can you measure the impedance of the speakers with an ohm meter so we can figure out replacement drivers?

18. Motor72

Motor72

The internal dimensions are 16"x20"x14" and the port runs the full width and is divided up into three 7"x1" openings running horizontally under the speakers.

19. Arjank

Arjank

Great support and knowledge, not.....

20. Arjank

Arjank

No, it's not well suited for bass applications.
    If you can spend some coin put in 4 Beyma 8G40's (avialable in 4ohms), the amp will not blow those into oblivion and will be of better quality then the stock drivers (by a large margin)

21. Motor72

Motor72

Found a replacement speaker I'm looking into. Please give feedback on the following specs:

This listing is for (1) new 8 inch subwoofer replacement. It measures 8.25 inches from end to end. This woofer is rated at 120 watts RMS, and 240 Peak with a frequency range of 25-1k hz. I would recommend this for subwoofers requiring less than 120 watts RMS, or in a 3-4 way type cabinet. It is very efficient in its sound at 87db (m/w), and does not require a huge amplifier to get great sound out of it. It puts out great bass response with its 47oz vented magnet. It measures 7 3/4 diagonally from hole to hole, which is standard for most 8 inch woofers. This would make an excellent home or car audio subwoofer as it is 4 ohms which is standard for car audio, and for most home audio subwoofers. I replaced a M&K kx10 woofer with this speaker, and I personally thought it hit deeper and cleaner than the original woofer. It was direct replacement. I can discount shipping if you buy more than one. Please note this listing is for (1) woofer. For more info on this woofer, please see below. This woofer is brand new in box. See the youtube link below.

http://youtu.be/7_3Y5GqwQeQ

Bumped magnet and vented pole piece
    Heavy duty stamped steel basket
    Specifications:

Power capacity: 120W/240W RMS/peak
    Frequency response: 25Hz ~ 1KHz
    Nominal impedance: 4Ω
    Voice coil diameter: 2"
    Magnet weight: 47oz.
    Sensitivity: 87dB W/M
    Fs: 25.7Hz
    Re: 3.4Ω