1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replacement speakers for SWR Baby Blue II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thejumpcat, Dec 18, 2010.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

I read several previous threads, but they were a little old. Just wondering if any different ideas have popped up since the Eminence and Dayton suggestions.

I'll probably contact Don at LDS about his long throws.

I played a gig that got too loud for this amp last Saturday. Now one speaker doesn't work; the other 8" makes a fuzzy sound and the tweeter might be shot too! I'm so pissed at myself because I love this amp. (Next time, I will just set the bass down and go have a beer while the rest of the band blows their brains out.)

The 8s are the original Celestion BG8-60 and the 5" tweeter is a Bag End E-5S.

2. tedw

tedw Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hear the news. I have a BB II as well, and would will watch your thread hoping someone provides a good answer that I can benefit from as well.

3. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

Bag End now offers a 5" that is a replacement for the E5-S. It's a tight fit in the BB box (slightly larger basket) and it has extended highs that lets more hiss through :(

It cost me about $100 as I recall.

The 8" woofers are the real problem. SWR did have Eminence design a replacement for the Celestions, no idea if they have any left (or recone kits) at this point.

4. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

i put eminence beta 8's in mine. sounded really good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tedw

I've heard a lot of ideas for BB II replacement speakers, but don't think I've heard about Eminence Beta 8's (I'm no speaker expert). Thanks for the idea.

7. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

the run of celestions that were in my year, don't remember what year, died easy. so did the bag end mid. i used a bose mid and 2 beta 8's. upped the power handling and sounded unbelievable. i never should have sold it. the guy that bought it actually specified in his want ad "wanted baby blue II with emeinence speakers".

8. chadds

chadds

The LDS 8"s are as has been said, pants flappers. Makes this amp more capable. I loved the Bag Ends, then the Celestions. They had there own nice distinct qualities. The long throws add that extra extension you didn't know was missing. Your BBII will lose some perceived fragileness.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mine BBII was a later model; I never had trouble with the speeks, but I never pushed it too dang hard as I'd read they were fragile-ish.
    I already had an LDs 2x8+5" mid cab I used under it sometimes, and I liked the way it sounded, so, I pulled all the guts out of the BBII, and put LDS supplied parts in there. I think they were all B&C. Good stuff, but, heavy.

I've heard Don has sourced neo 8's he likes now, but I've not talked to him, or played them. He's been making 8" powered cabs for a long time now, so, I'd expect if he likes them, they'd be good.

10. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

My speakers aren't labeled? How can I tell if they're Eminence or Celestions?

I'd love to lighten it but even just a few pounds by swapping NEO 8's in...

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

The Celestions have a white label with all the info on the back of the magnet. I have a blown one sitting in my basement. :meh:

The Eminence's were unmarked on the magnet, and I'm not sure if the Bag Ends were marked or not since I've never seen one.

I can confirm that Eminence Beta 8's were excellent replacements, but I was always curious to try the LDS extended range speakers.

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Thanks Eric. Mine must be Eminence. There is nothing stamped on the drivers. It's a chrome grill, 160 watt rev.

13. Agilulfo

Agilulfo

I just found this thread as I was been searching for replacement speakers for my 1992 BB. Since people on this thread have been asking about markings on the original speakers I have attached a photo of the original Bag End E-8s driver which finally gave way after 20 years of use.

Attached Files:

14. tedw

Nice. Too late for me as I have sold my BBII