Replacement Suggestions STV-210HE Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by emuller419, Mar 8, 2014.

1. emuller419

emuller419

I want to upgrade to better Drivers In my Ampeg STV-210HE cab. It doesn't handle the ouput from my Eden E300T Tube head. They just don't cut it. I'm pairing them with a SVT-15EN Cab (Which I love) I was looking at maybe Emenience Delta 10b's. I'm sure people have changed these just want some honest feedback and any suggestions!
    Thanks!
  2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I am not sure I understand what you are after. Do the drivers bottom out? I have two of these cabs and each EASILY takes the clean 300 or so Watts my LMII delivers. Going higher in SPL (and into limiting at the amp) is no problem, even with a five string bass and boosted lows on the amp.
    For bigger gigs I put a 210 on top of a 410 and run each box from a channel in a QSC PLX 1804. Even that is ok with the cab.

My guess is that your tube amp lacks the power supply "stiffness" of a good SS amp, and the loose tube amp output will cause these rather linear and compliant drivers to run "amuck" as they follow the partially uncontrolled signal from the amp.

Perhaps do you just feel you need more SPL? In that case I understand better. These drivers are power hungry and they need a sturdy and big amp if you want the full output of the cab. More efficient drivers are easy to find. For a tube amp you should consider a sealed cab as well.
  3. emuller419

emuller419

The amp drives my other cabs great. This one not so much. The speakers are over driven easily. And when I connect it in parallel with another cab both cabs lose a lot of bottom end and punch. My 15 Ampeg cab and Eden 410 cabs work well together. I guess I am looking for drivers that will handle over 300 watts RMS together in this cab. Just want to see if anyone has suggestions for better than Ampeg Stock replacements.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You are using a 210 with a 300w tube amp. Any speakers you put in it won't matter...even if they have higher power handling than what's in there (seems to me those stock speakers had pretty good power handling already), the box size and design is going to limit their clean output, and it'll be right around the same point as it always was. It's a 210. It's not meant to put out like a 410 or 810. If you get 200w into a 210, you're doing pretty good.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

You say BOTH cabinets lose bottom end when run in parallel with the 210. This definitely sounds like a polarity issue. Have you checked with a battery that the cones move in the same direction once the battery is connected?
    I really think this is the place to start.
    That 210 is a fine performer when it is in good running order.
  7. emuller419

emuller419

Ok I'll check it out with that battery. Yes the 15 is defiantly a lot "quitter" when daisy chained with the 210. I change the cab ohm switch to 4ohms. The 8ohm 15 and 4 ohm 410 Eden work AWSOME together. Otherwise, it might not be a bad idea to get a low power Hartke and use the 210 as my practice box (that's why I got it in the first place). I thought it would work fine with my E300T Eden Head when hooked up with the other cabs.
  8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

It is also worth checking out that the drivers in the 210 are "in sync". Both should move in uniform response. They are 4 ohm drivers connected in series to make an 8 ohm load. Someone might have tampered with the wiring.
  9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I betcha it doesn't work as well as you think! That Ampeg cabinet is a constant weak link in such an arrangement.
  10. emuller419

emuller419

It works great by it self. I love the tone. It also doesn't change tone when connected with the Eden 410 like it does with the matching Ampeg 210.
  11. emuller419

emuller419

I bought the cab with the tweeter not working. I disconnected the cross over and wired the 2 speakers direct to the input. There's no telling what was done to it before I owned it. I was pretty careful to connect the polarity correctly. But, I am human and will have to go back to check.