Replacing 10" speaker

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by droopman, Nov 30, 2012.

1. droopman

droopman

Any recommendation for replacing 10" speakers in a 2 10" 8 ohm Nemesis cab?
    Thx Droop.
  2. vgbob

vgbob

Can you tell us what the impedance of the original speakers are? If it's an 8 ohm cab, it could be two 16 ohm speakers in parallel, or two 4 ohm speakers in series? Maybe someone that is familiar with the cab could say. If you are dealing with 16 ohm speakers, they are a bit more limited in your choices.
    If your amp can handle 4 ohm loads, you could go with two 8 ohm speakers and that would give you a lot more choices. What do you want to spend? (or not spend)
  3. droopman

droopman

The cab is 4 ohms and loaded with 8 ohm speakers.
  4. droopman

droopman

I want it to sound good. Price not that important or I'd keep the Eden speakers. Actually one is starting to sound bad. Might just need to be tighten up in the cab.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vgbob

vgbob

OK, Avatar sells what I'd call OEM Eminence or Celestion 10s. Not what I'd suggest, but the cheapest. Next up, almost any of the music stores sell Eminence speakers. Or US Speaker or Parts Express. For under $100 you can get Eminence Legend BP102's which seem to have pretty good specs. There are a couple of similar models but they don't seem to go as low. Above $100 there are several neo models if you want something like that. If you play around with some software on the web called WinISD, you could probably figure out which speaker matches your cab, but that's a bit complicated, and might not make that much differerence anyway, since you are not building a cab, just trying to get a good match.
  7. droopman

droopman

NEO is a consideration because I'm old.
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    If you like the sound of them, look into getting them re-coned.

A few years back, I obtained a 4ohm Nemesis 410 for cheap with a couple blown drivers and made myself an 8ohm 210 with the remaining good ones. Those were Eden model 1032 drivers, 16ohm each. I never knew the real specs on them but played with a test cab until I got what I wanted.

Depending on your tone goals..they worked out quite well. I put them in a little bigger box with a lowish tuning. They sounded nothing like an XLT. They were clear.;). Sounded a little shy in the bass solo'd but slotted into a band mix nicely. I eventually traded the cab to a friend for a powered mixer. Both the cab and the mixer are still in use today.

Don't know why I just explained all that, but, look into recones. Choices are slim for decent 4 or 16ohm 10's. Aside from one or two models, the bp102 being one of them, all I could find in 4 or 16ohms were either really cheap or really expensive. Faital or B&C might have some good ones.