Replacing a neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 83blues, Mar 4, 2014.

1. 83blues

83blues

So I bought a 1980s squire on Craigslist. It has killer tone but a totally F'd up neck. I decided to take the neck off a modern squire affinity (becuase unlike most people i like those necks) and use that instead.
    But when I went to put it on i realized that it doesn't fit tight in the body socket. There might be as much as 1/16 of an inch of play. so...

1. Does it matter?
    2. Can I shim it?
    3. can i fix some other way
    4. If i cant, how do I find a neck that fits when I am not sure what model I have?

There is no going back to the old neck now my buddy broke it in half when he was trying to fix it.
  2. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

It's always best if the neck heel is a snug fit in the neck pocket, but there are many that aren't. It doesn't mean you can't use the neck. You will have to get it in place and get the screws snug, and then check to make sure the neck is straight in relation to the bridge. Once it's in line, tighten the neck screws & string it up.

You can attempt to shim the gaps around the neck heel, but it probably won't change anything but the looks. It won't hurt anything to try.
  3. TheDepths

TheDepths Supporting Member

I'd say the neck has to be as tight in there as possible....these are your options

1) Use the neck you have, as Remus_Redbone said make sure it's straight and all done up right, shim if you need to....that neck needs to be solid.
    2) Appeal to the learned fellows of TalkBass...post some pictures of what you have....there's some serious knowledge here....someone will know what neck you need.
    3) How the hell do you break a neck in half?!
  4. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

If your buddy broke the neck in half while trying to fix it, I would assume he did something wrong. How did he attempt to "fix" it?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I've seen gouged out neck pockets where the gaps are filled with epoxy. Don't know if that made them permanent, but it wouldn't be too tough to do it so the neck would come off if you wanted.
  7. JustForSport

JustForSport

A release agent on the neck while the gap in the pocket is filled w/epoxy can make an exact/ tight fit.
    Just be sure to plug all holes and tape/dam the gap so the epoxy doesn't get where you don't want it.
  8. fhm555

Vaseline on the neck heel and neck screws will do it. Just make sure to clean it off after the epoxy sets up.
  9. bcbassman

bcbassman

DO NOT EPOXY YOUR NECK INTO A NECK POCKET!!!!

TOO MANY THINGS CAN GO WRONG WITH THIS PROCEDURE TO MAKE IT WORTH IT!

You also have epoxy in your body so if you get another neck- YOU have to remove the epoxy! - BAD iDEA. Just install the neck and tighten the screws. Forget about the gaps. They don't make a whif of difference in the sound of your bass!
  10. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

This is the correct response.

Once you start playing around with basses and changing all sorts of things around and simply "making things work", you find out that it is the integrity of the flat main surface contact of the neck that is clamped onto the body that is critical.
    I firmly believe that great contact between those two surfaces, which should be nice and flat, clamped tight by the neck screws is the key to great sound vibration transfer between neck and body.
    Because of this I don't shim any more until absolutely necessary. And gaps at the side ... well it's just cosmetic. I try to get them looking decently tight but I know it won't affect the sound one bit.
  11. fhm555

No one was advocating epoxying a neck to a neck pocket. The conversation has been about filling the gaps around a neck that is not a tight fit in a neck pocket.

I personally would never do such a thing, but this is not about my bass, it's a conversation about possibilities where excessive gap appears around a neck for whatever reason, and ways to address those gaps.