1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Replacing active MEC pickups with passive barts.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chaser1, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Chaser1

Chaser1

Hey I have a question and it may be kinda dumb but I have no idea and a bunch of googling hasn't helped. I am swapping out a set of active MEC pickups run through an Active preamp with a set of passive single coil bartolini classic bass deep jazz pickups. The only thing that is confusing on the wiring is what do I do with the red wire coming off the Active pickups that goes to the battery. I have attached a pic of the wiring. If you can make out the red wire comes off both pickups and then meets inside a black tube( I could cut it off but am wary until I ask.) Then out the other side one end goes to the pre and the other the battery clip. When I pull out and replace the pickup what happens with the two red wires off the pickup, do I snip them and solder them together to make the circuit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. tubehead2

tubehead2

Hmmmm....

With the old circuit, you should have 3 red wires.
    Two from the pickup and one from the preamp.

What you should do is remove two red wires from the pickup
    and keep the red wire from the preamp connected to battery.

Cut the two red wires off at the point where it meet with the preamp red wire and battery.

I am not sure but you should check if the pan pot in your bass is 250K?
    Coz your new bart use 250K and I think MEC active should come with 25K.

And Please post the review of the tone change after ur succeed ^^
    I am about to have pickup modify in my WW steamer stage 2 too.
  3. eukatheude

eukatheude

Yeah you will also most likely need to change the pots.
  4. Chaser1

Chaser1

Thanks for the response. I looked a little into it and I would have to switch the blend pot out. As far as I can see the others will be fine.

I am almost thinking at this point I might upgrade the preamp as well. Seeing as I am going bartolini pickups I had looked at the 3 band bartolini NTMB4.6. Which would add the push pull for active and passive and give me the ability to adjust my mids. Does anyone have any experience with a full Bart setup or is there another pre anyone would recommend looking at.
  5. eukatheude

eukatheude

Look into Aguilar's OPB and EMG's BCQ, i think the price is pretty much the same. A version of the EMG also gives you sweepable midrange.
  6. DaveyM69

DaveyM69

A couple of weeks ago I installed the NTMB 5.2, the bass already had stock Bart PUs, sounds great :)

The 250Hz mid setting (no cap) in particular is fantastic! The second setting, 800Hz, isn't as useful for me, I think it's aimed at slappers. Gonna change the .1uF cap out to a lower value (.033uF) and try 500Hz.
  7. tubehead2

tubehead2

For me, Bart pu+ preamp are too warm and mid-bass boost.
    I am afraid it will kill warwick unique, making the bass sounds polite.

I am about to have my WW steamer st 2 new pickup too.
    The MEC pu+pre are too noisy, I can hear radio from my amp.
    I think I go Delano and play it passive.