1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Replacing bridge with quick load

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 12, 2013.

1. JACink

JACink

I have a short scale p bass which is becoming my travel bass.

I am adding neck studs (stainless steel) so I can remove the neck often to throw it in my luggage (only option).

However, I would like to replace the current bridge with one that has quick load string option, so I can remove the neck just by loosening the strings, and not have to remove them.

This is the current bridge:

[​IMG]

I can´t find a bridge that has the same screw spacing, but is quick load.

Can I just fill the holes with wood filler, and then re-drill, or is that a bad idea?

Thanks in advance!
  2. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Bad idea. Wood filler has no strength. Get some hardwood dowel and fill with that.
  3. JACink

JACink

Thanks 96tbird!

So I just find dowel of the right size and glue this in place with wood glue? What about filling in around the dowel, I guess this will not be seen, but is this needed?
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Why not just use a Dremel cutting wheel to cut slots fr0m the top of the bridge down to the string holes so you can top-load the bridge you have now? Make the cuts at an angle and hit the hole near the bottom of the hole so the strings can't walk out.

Or: remove bridge, drill out holes to specific plug dimensions, get plugs to fit, score grooves down each side of each plug to allow glue to exit, add Titebond glue, press plugs into holes, wipe off excess glue, let glue set, cut off excess plug material, re-mount bridge.

Personally, I'd spend more time looking for a top-load bridge that matched the screw holes.
  5. JACink

JACink

I did think about the cutting route, but would this not affect the strength of the bridge?

I have been looking for bridges with the same string spacing, but it seems that the quick load bridges seem to have the screws centered below the strings, where as the on I have a located between the strings.

(Also, I do not want to spend too much on a bridge for this cheap bass, it is only to throw in my luggage for travel)