Replacing current 2x15 with 2x10+1x15, advice?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lostcontrol_, Jan 7, 2013.

1. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

Hi everyone,

As it seems like I'll be starting to do gigs this Spring, it suddenly occurred to me that it'll be a pain to haul my current rig anywhere: No car of my own, no van available without renting it if I recall correctly, stuff will be transported by average cars. So, I'm looking for advice on replacing my current cab with something more portable.

Current rig:
    - GenzBenz GBE-750 amp (has a DI-out)
    - Ampeg 2x15" cab

I'm thinking about going for a 2x10" and a 1x15", as they might prove a bit easier to fit into an average car. Also, having the option of hauling just one of them depending on the gig might be a good thing.

I've been quite happy with the 2x15, so I'm thinking an Ampeg 1x15 or similar for the lows.

Any recommendations for the 2x10, or comments on this approach altogether?

The budget's negotiable, I have a decently paying day job and would rather invest in quality that retains some value in the second hand market than cheap out. I play both a 6-string (beadgc) and a 4-string (eadg), industrial and alternative rock (in their respective bands), my effects are mainly drive/fuzz/delay.

Thanks in advance :)

2. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Being a 2x15 fan, how about 2 matching 1x15 cabs? That way you avoid the phase issues of 10s vs 15s (and a lot of guff from fellow TBers).

3. rodl2005

rodl2005

+1 also, just because a cab's got 10" speakers, doesn't mean it'll be more for hi's than a 15". Some 1x15"s are tuned higher than some 210's
    I'd go for 2 x 115's also. Especially as u like yr 215 already & for the reasons stated above.
    Congrats on the upcoming gigs too:thumbup:

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Which Ampeg 115? There are a few, and they vary tonally from model to model. As has been said pairing cabs will result in a more predictable results. I suggest you go out and play every small cab you can. Find *one* that you like the sound of, then get a second one. These are two places I would start:

http://www.speakerbuilder.co.uk/

http://barefacedbass.com/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Markbass Traveller 102P - 400 Wt, 2x10, probably the lightest 210 cab on the market. I've got one and find it very powerfull and compact.

7. obimark

obimark

You really may work some folks up with this.
    However, IME, having done the 2x10 thing on top of the 1x15 a few times, it can work, but it takes very careful matching of the cabinets in terms of power handling etc... actually one of the cool 1x12 that handles high wattages might be better to stack on top of the 2x10, some people actually prefer that setup. For cheap 2x10 the Hartke 2x10 xl is usually around $180 and you won't beat that price, not a bad weight either. I owned one and it was not bad at all.
    The bottom line is try for yourself, I am currently playing (1) BG250 for all medium gigs and practice and it works PERFECT. Anything at a bigger place and we go thru PA anyhow.