1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

replacing Duncan Designed jazz pickups w/ EMG

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

am I going to notice a night and day difference between my Duncan Designed jazz pickups vs. EMG JHZ (passive jazz)?

Anyone with any experience have an opinion? Thank you.
  2. DERB

DERB

not likely.
  3. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

4. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I think a better answer might be, maybe you would notice a difference, maybe not. The thing is, even if there is a night and day difference, there is absolutely no guarantee you will actually like the change. If you want to take this risk, you can go ahead and try a swap, hoping you don't hate the sound of the new pickups. Maybe you'll get lucky and you will prefer the new p'ups. Maybe not.
    Personally, if I liked the sound of the DD pickups (and I do, I have two Squier VM's) I would just leave them alone.
  5. Bobster

Bobster

I replaced the Duncan Designed 5-string pickups in my Squier VM Jazz 5 with Lollars. I didn't like Duncan Desigened pickups voicing. I don't have the same issue with the 4 string VM Jazz.

There is a noticeable difference with the 5 string version.

Best of luck,

Bob
  6. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

Ok guys, thanks for the info. I almost pulled the trigger on EMG JHZ pickups (used) on Ebay for $40.
  7. joelb79

joelb79

This is how those HZ's might sound. To be honest, they will probably sound less scooped sounding than the Duncan Designed J's. the HZ's are a little darker than the EMG Active J's, and of course passive so there are no op-amp limitations or benefits applied. Occasionally there are some cheaper EMG J Set actives for sale here on Talkbass. I might be selling a set of those J's soon, as I just got the JX's and love them.