1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Replacing Eden with a Markbass ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by grooveguru, Dec 20, 2007.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

I've been using Eden amps for the last 5 years or so and I'm really curious about the Little Mark II amps. Has anyone switched from Eden to Mark Bass and would care to elaborate their opinions?
  2. phat daddy

phat daddy

I just A/B'd my Markbass rig with my friend's Eden rig and all I can say is now he's crying in his Wheaties. And I'm not just talking about heads, we compared 4x10 cabs as well. The Markbass just sounded more "alive", quick and less sterile. The low end is a lot quicker and still blossoms very well. I'm not talking about weight or price now, just sound. IMO and in my friend the Eden owner's opinion the Markbass rig smokes the Eden. I think I have him convinced that converting to Markbass is what he needs to do, and since he and I are both very visible bassists in Tampa Bay, I think Markbass rigs might just start popping up around here more and more. All it takes for the bassists I know is a listen.
  3. willsellout

willsellout

Could you go into the tonal similarities/differences a bit more between these two?
    I'm thinking about an R500 and am curious as I tend to like the Eden tone. It isn't perfect but it's a nice tone IMO.

Dan
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't ever ask someone who went to Markbass from something else what they thought...all you will get is it's the greatest solid state amp ever made. And they will be right ;)

I don't care for Eden but I've played through many Eden rigs. And if you like the bright and brassy sound, Markbass may be a bit of a crapshoot. It will do bright and brassy if you want it, but I don't know if it will do it to the degree that someone who loves that Eden bright and brassy will like. When it comes to that sound, Eden takes the cake. Honestly, I can't get Eden amps to do anything but bright and brassy. If you gave me my choice of a $3000 Eden rig or that $600 Little Mark II, I would take the LM II every time.

Actually, I'd sell the $3000 Eden rig and buy an LM II then go gambling ;)
  5. willsellout

willsellout

Bright and brassy huh? It's been a while and I don't remember my WT400 being like that. That's about the opposite of what I'm looking for though.

Dan
  6. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

Well i can't give you a side by side or anything like that BUT here in NH we have a great store in Dover NH called Earcraft Music. They are an Eden dealer. 3 times over the last 2 years in frustration and based on comments here I went up there with the intent to buy an Eden. Cost didn't matter I just wanted a great sound. My hartke and Fender gear wasn't delivering. Anyway each time I tried but couldn't get a sound I liked from any of their amps or cabs. With the LMII it was almost love at first pluck. That is all I can say. CP
  7. Crabby

Crabby

Opinions are so subjective. I find my Eden setup warm and punchy without the "brassy" or abrasive brightness of many other setups.

I was able to a/b compare a full Markbass setup to an Epiphani rig and the Markbass rig sounded sterile, thin and lifeless compared to the the Epiphani head. There were a bunch of peple in the store at the time and everyone had the same opinion. Even the salesman who commented that the Markbass rig was overprived for the tone.

Hmmmmmmm
  8. USAJO

USAJO

I can't understand the comment implying that a piece of Eden gear sounds "sterile". What does this mean to you? To me Eden is about as far from "sterile" sounding as you can get. Sorry but a comment like "this smokes that" immediately brings out the red flags for me.
    I think most of the gear discussed on the forums are quality pieces of equipment. Some may prefer one over the other for various reasons and that is all good. "the low end is a lot quicker and still blossoms very well"
    Sounds descriptive but what does that mean to you? What would a cab be that had a quick low end but yet didn't blossom? I'm serious these descriptions of sound just leave me baffled.
    How old was the Eden gear, how many gigs had it seen? How new was the Markbass gear? I found that after 5 years of heavy gigging, radical temp changes,etc my Eden cabinet didn't sound like it did the day I bought it. You would expect that. I switched to Epifani just because I wanted to experience another quality cab. Not because the Epifani smoked anything.
  9. vcs700s

vcs700s

I played a few Mark Bass amps and ended up with the Eden WTX-260. I prefer the tone over the MB. It is very warm and full.

Hey, to each his own. The reason there are so many different amps is because we all have different tastes and we hear things differently. That is what makes life interesting!:D
  10. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

I owned two Edens in my life, and absolutely hated them both. They "colored" the sound of my basses (too boomy usually), and I thought the EQ was almost unusable because it added or took away so much. In the end, both Edens crapped out on me and stopped working properly.

I think Markbass is a much better amp at a much better value. Their weight and warranty and price are hard to beat. I find them very transparent, allowing your bass's natural sound to come through (if that's what you want). The EQ is very usable as well, although I don't care much for the "VPF" and "VLE", or whatever those are.

That being said- No amp will ever tear me away from the ThunderFunk!
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Me too, that's why I like Nemesis over Eden. It may be their budget brand, but I like it better because it's not nearly as scooped as Eden. Eden and I never got along. They remind me a lot of those old Sunn tube bass amps that had the built-in Chris Squire/Entwistle sound. Nice sound for them, but it's not for me.
  12. Blankmann44

Blankmann44

Maybe I'm wrong, isn't that what a EQ does? Maybe you're used to a less powerful EQ or something. Eden always has boasted a very powerful EQ. One or two clicks will do, you don't need to always go '0' or '10'.

Its possible I'm not understanding you, but that's what your comment leads me to believe.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    You Eden people need to realize that Eden is very much an acquired taste and not get so mad when people say they don't like it or can't do something on it that they want to do. It's a very specialized sound for a specialized group of people, and it's very much a love/hate thing in the bass community.
  14. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Eden bright and brassy? That's a new one. I've owned seven Eden heads over the last 15-20 years and that's the first time I've ever heard that description. What does brassy mean in the context of bass amps? Makes your bass sound like a Tuba?

I find the Eden to be the best sounding (imho) bass amp IF your playing solo at home. It just tends to get buried in the mix playing live. I find most high quality solid state heads like MB, Epi, TF, while sounding somewhat sterile by themselves, tend to have some of the solid state harshness softened by the full band sonic environment leaving a nice clear defined tone in the mix.
  15. USAJO

USAJO

JimmyM, I missed the election where you became the spokesman for the bass community. Nobody is mad about anything, just responding to others comments. Check with the "bass community" and you'll see we all aren't drinking the Markbass Kool-aid. You can easily substitute Markbass in your statement. No one is mad. Are you? I think not, it's too close to Christmas.
  16. phat daddy

phat daddy

I'm sorry if some of my comments sent up "red flags", but my friend and I were just so blown away by the sonic difference of these two rigs. The Eden was definately a lot boomier set flat, where the Markbass was quick and tight. Staccato eighth notes and sixteenth passages came off the Markbass with a lot more definition which I attributed to this difference in low end. The Markbass's low-mid was more subtle albeit muscular, just not over the top flat. The highs and high mids cut extremely well on both rigs but my friend and I agreed that the Markbass's simply sounds more natural. The Markbass overall just has a quicker and more natural transient response which we both felt made our playing sound better. Hope that's specific enough.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    RE: bright and brassy, that was my polite way of saying "shrill and annoying."
  18. Blankmann44

Blankmann44

If anything I'm slightly 'mad' that you accuse me/us of being 'mad' when clearly and obviously no one is mad.

Too shrill? What was the tweeter/horn set at?
  19. vcs700s

vcs700s

I'm with you. It doesn't sound like anyone is mad. We simply are musicians with different ears and opinions.

That being said, my Eden rig definitely does not sound bright and brassy. Not even close!
  20. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

I've only used an Eden rig a few times at my local rehearsal room, so it's seen some real heavy use. But it seems to be overall quite a scooped sort of tone which gives the impression of a boom down low coupled with a bright, zingy high end. As Humabass says, it sounds real nice on it's own, but the tone does get lost a bit with the rest of my band's lineup (we've got a five piece horn section). I can understand why people like them, but it's definitely not for me.