Replacing Eden WT400 + SWR 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slareman, Apr 6, 2014.

1. slareman

slareman

For various reasons, I need to replace my current rig:
    Eden WT-400 + SWR Goliath III Jr. 2x10 (4 Ohm)

Really like the tone of this setup. I like to run it flat and use the EQ only for tweaking. What would be a similar setup? I had the impression that the Eden put some color on the tone and the cab was fairly transparent, but not having a huge amount of experience playing different setups, maybe I'm wrong.

Having read all the rave reviews, and hearing a number of players whose tone I like use it, yesterday I tried an Aguilar TH500, with SL112, GS112, and some new-ish Warwick 4x10 cab, but none of that really floated my boat. The SL112 was too "honky" I'd say. Using the GS112 gave something close what I was looking for, but something was still missing—a bit sterile, maybe?

I'm looking for the opinions of the experienced TB community!
    Would a different cab (maybe DB112, maybe a DB210/410 or other 10-loaded cab) with the TH500 give me something closer to what I had before, or should I completely change gears?

Thanks!

2. jongor

jongor

I used a WT400 for many years and recently went to a Mesa Carbine M3....freakin' love this amp! It is big and heavy though...

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Wasn't a fan of the GS112 and TH500. Many years I used the exact setup.you had. Try a GB streamliner if you can find one. I really like the GS112 and love the TH pedal. Didn't like the amp with those speakers. It did sound GREAT with my PBass though. Berg 112s or 210 sound great with the TH500. I tried the HDs and use HTs witg it

4. slareman

slareman

Thanks guys, any other suggestions?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. groove pump

groove pump

Don't know why my ears have come to love 2x10's, but they just do. I have sampled a couple of Neo 2x12's in recent history that sounded surprisingly huge to me. Maybe a decent option if someday I'm looking for a single cab with portability and big sound, but my pair of not-so-special 2x10 cabs (SWR Workingman's) are great for me these days.

If I went shopping for a single replacement, the first makers I'd look for are Aguilar and Eden. I've adored the couple of XLT's I've tried myself or heard in the past. While their XST's are apparently "flatter" or "more even" sounding, I just want to share a hug with the big 'n cozy XLT tone.

I saw a guy playing a very ordinary bass and head through an Aguilar 2x10 (don't know the model) last summer in a jazzy-bluesy act, and the tone seemed to just breathe out of his cab. Very inspiring - gave me the impression that they're definitely onto something there.

7. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

The GS 210's (gone) were very great with my AG 500s. I stacked 2 - 210 cabs vertically and it gave me a punchy warm tone. The DB 210's would probably sound very nice with a TH500.

8. slareman

slareman

Yeah, I feel like I may prefer 210/410s, but it seems like a lot of people do like the way the 112s or 212s sound with the TH500.

9. FenderBender82

FenderBender82

I'll chime in here since I made the small amp switch a few years back. I used to play peavy bw215's (I had two) with a ampeg svt350h, it was a solid,reliable rig with a backup cab. I got it stuck in my head one day that I was getting tired of lugging that huge rig around, so I sold them. I scored a used Eden 210xlt from daddy's junky music and ordered a hartke lh500, I couldn't be happier! The hartke is so simple to set up the shelved eq and the tube pre warms it up just enough( but a gain control would be nice) with a active
    Bass. The Eden is incredible and I will never sell it, they can be pricey new but are easily found used. I highly recommend Eden to anyone that wants a nice genre jumping cab but I have to add that it is the heaviest 210 I've ever seen and it's so deep that I believe it will only fit ontop of another xlt series correctly.