Replacing my EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eupharies, Feb 1, 2013.

1. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    Hello

I have 2x EMG HB's in my bass

Totally not my sound... so i need something else in my custom!

Sound wise, i want fat and aggressive, bit of grit and growl..

Skip to 1minute 16... that kind of sound!!! beautiful!!!

Any suggestions... obviously as they are soapbars i need the same shape...

I have $400 to spend ( im based in uk)

Thanksies!!

2. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
  3. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

subscribed, same thing with me, have EMG HB's in a 69 Guild Starfire II (as pictured), would love to go back to bisonic or Dark stars and might wait for the new vendors or Fred, but was hoping David Schwab might pop in, I've had the original bisonics, Alembic single coils, and now EMG's in there, obviously going for Jack tone

4. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
    They are just so hard to replace with ideally what i want!

Totally should have tried emgs before i stuck them in a custom!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

EMG's can be cleaned up to sound the way you like. I would try adding a BTC and rolling off the highs some or all the way using the 1 on 2 off high setting, then roll the lows off (a tiny bit) to clean up the sub-sonic thud. Then compensate for lost lows with your amp's eq, which will now effect the sub-sonic thud less, giving you more headroom in return. Might be easier and cheaper than sourcing new pickups. I spent some time listening to your band on youtube, and I think this suggestion will work for thickening up your sound and making you sound carry the band more, which I bet is a problem you are having with some uber-wide frequency response pickups like the HB's.

The Equivalent to the HB's is the 35P. Is there anyway to route the bass to 35's? Picture of said instrument? What if your tonal goals? There are so many coil arrangements available on the 35 series that might be more up your alley.

PS: Is the bass we are talking about featured in this video? I wish I could listen to your link, but it says the video is private. I'm just listening to your studio sound and making suggestions on how to make the HB's work for you. Hope this was helpful.

7. eupharies

eupharies

Disclosures:
    Hello!

Thanks for the reply dude, yeh that link got closed off for some reason!

MY ideal tone would be fat and warm but still quite aggressive, i use a gk amp and a darkglass b3k, i just dont like how it sounds, its in the shop at the moment as i reckon the pickups have some issues!

I have stacked knovs on for each pickup, but all the knobs seem to affect both pickups even when both pickups are not selected!

I have a backup fender vm jaguar, and i love how it sounds!!!