1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replacing older Ibanez Soundgear pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Ethanator, Nov 1, 2013.

1. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

I have a 2006-7 Ibanez SR400QM (4 string) that I've been looking into replacing the pickups on. I installed a Bartolini 3-band active/passive EQ system and would like to get better pickups than the stock ones to make most of it. But after looking at replacements on the market and the size of the pickups on my bass, it looks like I have one of the older models with the 4.5" long pickup casing as opposed to the 4.25" Bartolini MK1 and Nordstrand pickups that now come with the higher end Soundgear models. The pickup is still the same 1.25" wide so I'm wondering if maybe previously Bartolini made 4.5" 4-string pickups and then there was a multi-company shortening of the pickup length :confused:. Either way, if anyone has any pointers as to if I can get an old set of name brand pickups or if I should start looking at custom manufacturers, I'd appreciate it!

2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Just looked at the catalogs for Ibanez SR's in 06 and 07. Are your pups a P/J configuration or soapbars? And are you sure about the year? If you give me the first 5 characters of your serial number I can confirm when they were made.

3. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

They are soapbars, 4.5"x1.25". SN is I061108XXX

4. grendle

grendle

Go USA Bart's or nordies. They sound best in those basses. The stock stuff in ibanez isn't half as bad as most make them sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

I'd love to drop a set of Nordstrands in it, problem is I have an older Soundgear with slightly longer pickups and need to find something to fit

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Bart P4 shape is: 1-1/4" x 4-5/8" - 1.25" x 4.65".
    Is route wide enough?
    Bart RU's (radiused) are: 4.48 in. / 114 mm x 1.17 in. / 30 mm.